laptop help needed asap

jock

Inactive User
Reaction score
right guys im in need of some help asap.ive just bought a laptop for my daughter its not new before anyone asks.ive plugged it in and turned it on and it doesnt load up(xp)i keep getting choice from safe mode,safe mode with network,safe mode with command and restart as normal.it doesnt matter which 1 i press as it gets to the windows xp logo and then just shuts down it self.

can someone please help me as me and the wife have been having a massive fight over this problem as my daughter is getting upset.

download some stress testing software and utilities

i can't remeber the programme names of the top of me head

but try somthing called everest boot cd or somthing

u want to test memory, cpu .etc

if any have a problem u will find out straight away

and if it is a memory problem then u can replace memory to see if it fixes problem

and have u applied new thermal grease to cpu .etc?

right guys sorry for the delay in replying to this thread ive got into the bios via f2 button but cant see anything on there saying the temp of the laptop also its getting worst now as ive just had broadband turned on today for her laptop,installed it all fine and if she only has internet explora running its fine but as soon as she logs into msn messenger it shuts off.

also im from swansea as some one asked before

cheezed off now,just done a full format and then a whole new install and less than 5 mins of it up and running it goes again so i take it ive got a doggie hard drive?

Could be a couple of things.

Could be overheating (easily done on laptops), bad hard drive, problem with the mainboard, bad memory....

I'd suggest downloading a SMART hard drive utility to check that none of the hard drive thresholds have been broken. This will tell you if it's a bad hard drive. PC Wizard has this check but there are others like DriveSitter which are dedicated to that sort of thing and will monitor the temperature too but PC Wizard will also monitor the CPU temperature. If that all checks out fine, look at testing the memory. A program you can use to that can be found at http://www.memtest86.com/

Definatly sounds like a cooling problem with me. I have the smae problem with my current PC. Its running at 100oC at just the bios screen. I can see its full of dust but im too lasy to take it out. Tried hoovering it out lol but only got rid of a bit on the top. Currently the window is open ad the case is off to let as much air in as it can.

dont be shy mate get it cleaned people say you have buy compressed air and give it a good a squirt but i just used a soft paint brush and a hoover to clean mine worked a treat

cheezed off now,just done a full format and then a whole new install and less than 5 mins of it up and running it goes again so i take it ive got a doggie hard drive?

Mate you said you got a new harddrive the chances of 2 dodgy harddrives makes you look else where i have a simular problem at the moment i upgraded some ramm but it had compatability problems with the board and kept crashing then some clever person told me to check the jumpers i had taking out a stick running at 266 and put in a 333 thats another story but Id say

NO 1 hardware RAMM ISSUE
NO 2 HEAT PROBLEM

probably worth taking it to a small pc shop and just asking for a diognosis and a price to fix ? u dont have to commit and if the charge £10 to sus the problem thats fair enough save u 2 days faffing

right then last time lol late last night i tryed a diff hard drive in this laptop.formatted it fine and started to install xp on it. As soon as the install finished i was hit again by this blue wall of death but this time it stayed up on the screen so i could write down the error codes which are.

Tech Information :

STOP: 0x00000001(0x85b1b856,0x00000002,0x00000000,0xf77dd3e0)
SISNICXP.SYS: Address f77dd3e0 Base at f77d8000,datestamp 43a672bb

right can anyone point me in the right direction so i can find out what all this means please?

Those memory locations don't mean bad RAM. It's the system file you need to look at that's listed which is SISNICXP.SYS. Just googling that comes up as a network port driver so I'd look at reinstalling the driver for your network card because that seems to be the problem.

if you have a xp disk then reload windows into it how you have discribed it it does sound like itis some how corrupted mate

right then ive had another go at this tonight and i keep getting the same codes on the blue screen of death the codes im getting are now these ones.

STOP; 0x000000d1(0xf72de994,0x00000002,0x00000000,0xf72de994)

can anyone help?

right then ive had another go at this tonight and i keep getting the same codes on the blue screen of death the codes im getting are now these ones.

STOP; 0x000000d1(0xf72de994,0x00000002,0x00000000,0xf72de994)

can anyone help?

Was there a filename given with that?

Not really an answer, but after reading the other replies it appears you've been experiencing different errors throughout this ordeal :)

My first question is, are you using a legitimate XP CD?
If not, and there are dodgy or corrupt files on the CD ( or the CD is scratched etc) your going to keep getting problems all the time.

My first instinct was that it was cooling also and that maybe the motherboard is slowly dieing which could give you all manner of errors.

When you installed XP, did you do so without anything else plugged into the laptop? If not, try that. Dont plug anything in, dont update to Service Pack 2, dont have it connected to the internet, dont plug a mouse in, dont do anything and see if it is stable. Just have the power plugged in.

Finally, this may not be an option, but wherever/whoever you got it from, take it back.

Back