Kryptview HD and external hard drives

zippy_pratt

Inactive User
Reaction score
Expecting delivery of new box today.

I plan to hook-up an external hard drive to it, but are there any restrictions which i need to bear in mind, i.e;

Will a portable external drive work, one that is USB powered from the kryptview box itself, or do i need to get one that has its own AC power supply ?

What do i need to format the drive to, FAT32 or NTFS ?

Any hard drive experiences or advice appreciated

Cheers

If using external hdd probably getting ac powered one and then just format using the menu.

Cheers.

Am assuming it will power it when the box is in standby mode as well

external hard drive are the way to go for best recording and playback especially for HD recordings

Ive found you definitely need a fast read-write speed for HD recording on usb pen drives although sd recording is fine

external hard drive are the way to go for best recording and playback especially for HD recordings

Ive found you definitely need a fast read-write speed for HD recording on usb pen drives although sd recording is fine

Very true. I haven't got one of these yet but its common sense.

You can get a 500gb hard drive for the price of a 16gb usb pen. It just makes sense to go with a HDD in the first place.

Plenty more recording space on HDD, and like you say.. you need a fast read/write speed for HD recording on usb pens, which is a little more hard to find at the right price.

Very true. I haven't got one of these yet but its common sense.

You can get a 500gb hard drive for the price of a 16gb usb pen. It just makes sense to go with a HDD in the first place.
Plenty more recording space on HDD, and like you say.. you need a fast read/write speed for HD recording on usb pens, which is a little more hard to find at the right price.

Is yours gold plated :)

I just bought one for £8

if you read it, He states you can get a You can get a 500gb hard drive for the price of a 16gb usb pen

I stated is YOURS GOLD PLATED ie the usb pen as i just bought a USB PEN for £8

ie it must be a dear usb drive to be at same price as a 500gb HDD

That fact that I said (your) caused the confusion, when he never stated he had one.

Last edited:
if you read it, He states you can get a You can get a 500gb hard drive for the price of a 16gb usb pen

I stated is YOURS GOLD PLATED ie the usb pen as i just bought a USB PEN for £8

ie it must be a dear usb drive to be at same price as a 500gb HDD

That fact that I said (your) caused the confusion, when he never stated he had one.

Lol it was the other fella I was posting to Rodbuoy no you buddy. :proud:

Mon the teams in Green, lol.

:Cheers:

as I posted watch cheaper usb pen drives as recording isn't that good
freezing and pixelating
read-write speeds are not fast enough for the HD data

I got the same one my mate bought and sampled it prior to ordering and was fine. It had a slight judder at start but other than that it was fine.

Prefer to have the small usb drive at back as opposed to an ext HDD.

But its a very good point your making regarding speeds

Sorry for causing some confusion. I was just trying to point out some Pro's and cons of the two types of product.

It would be neater having a small pen at the back I agree.. I suppose it's all down to how much recording you will actually do, personal preference and what people can actually afford. I know I can't afford a decent size HDD, nor a decent usb pen for that matter though :-(

Sorry for causing some confusion. I was just trying to point out some Pro's and cons of the two types of product.

It would be neater having a small pen at the back I agree.. I suppose it's all down to how much recording you will actually do, personal preference and what people can actually afford. I know I can't afford a decent size HDD, nor a decent usb pen for that matter though :-(

i think I added to the confusion mate :)

No your point was valid mate and just like dream and you both said, your better with an Ext HDD for better quality.

I have the option of the usb and it was only 8 notes from fleebay and have a spare 100gb laptop hdd so I can switch between if need be.

Anyone know how i can get my Freecom ToughDrive 250GB USB to work?
Windows will not format to FAT32.
I have used HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool to format the drive to FAT32 and it works in windows but not on the box?
Tried to format using the box and it says the drive is not ready or not FAT32

in PC are you getting the exFat option ?
format with that option [quick format will do]

then format with hdd in the box
unplug hdd then plug in again

press usb on remote
usb/pvr manager
hdd infomation

see if it shows then

Still says drive not ready or not fat32 when formated as exfat.
Do you need a hdd with its own power? the freecom is powered by the usb

No the box should power it fine. Did the box format it, its self ?

My 4gb flash would take to it either but 1gb and 16gb and 100gb HDD work, so you might just be unlucky.

Back