Kryptview and Virgin media

dar1437

Worldz Biggest Oddball
VIP Member
Reaction score
After the arrest of 3 Starview Service Providers, even though i don't know how they got collared, it got me wondering,

If Virgins tech heads purchased a Kryptview would it possible for them to sort of scan the ethernet port to see where it's trying to connect to?

Re: Kryptview and Virjin Media

After the arrest of 3 Starview Service Providers, even though i don't know how they got collared, it got me wondering,

If Virgins tech heads purchased a Kryptview would it possible for them to sort of scan the ethernet port to see where it's trying to connect to?

Stick it through a hub and use a protocol sniffer, I imagine.

If they did get hold of the server IP that was residing in some sort of lawless country ;) even though they couldn't throw their legal weight around there, would it be that hard to spanner it with a sort of DDOS equivelant attack?

If VM did manage to stop said server, how easy would it be for KV to change server? Obviously it wouldn't be too difficult for them to set it up but how would it work with the clients? Would they just download a new image with the neccessary details on?

The way thing work with the bigger card sharing sites is usually via a multi-server cluster, often with the servers of the cluster being located in geographically diverse locations to aid fault tolerance. In this respect its no different than any other fault tolerant network. So, take one server down and another will automatically (and transparantly) take the load.

Of course, it is possible for VM to analyse the KV firmware and then block or otherwise try to interfere with a particular IP address but that may have legal ramifications (VM cannot themselves be seen to be acting illegally by mounting Ddos attacks etc). They could try to legally take down servers but, tbh, this is a waste of time as new servers could likely be brought online faster than any legal process could operate.

Changing server for KV is likely to be extremely easy. I'm not privy to any great detail but I imagine it may either be done via a hidden menu or possibly, as you suggest, via a simple firmware update. It may even be semi-automatic via the present KV update server (afaik, the update server is seperate to the CW servers so VM would have no legal reason to take it down).

The guys at kryptview know what they are doing mate the starview raid was not focused on drugs not cable share servers! Kv servers are based internationally and there are dozens of uplinks around the uk so kv user need not worry

I'm thinking of getting KV A780, is there anything I should do before connecting up as I got a TV and BB sub from VM.

Also does a WiFi bridge connection work on this box as my router/hub is in another room.

:thnks:

kv does not like the kvs lol.but if one the same ring then homeplugs will work
box to plug....................plug to touter/modem

I'm thinking of getting KV A780, is there anything I should do before connecting up as I got a TV and BB sub from VM.

Also does a WiFi bridge connection work on this box as my router/hub is in another room.

:thnks:
wifi bridges work fine with the kv but you also need mains to usb psu but if you have brick walls or router is too far away then you will get problems for a few £ more best with homeplugs

The guys at kryptview know what they are doing mate the starview raid was not focused on drugs not cable share servers! Kv servers are based internationally and there are dozens of uplinks around the uk so kv user need not worry

Dozens of UK based uplinks means dozens of monthly subs so won't there come a time where someone will have to pull the plug from a cost point of view or at least go through a process of getting existing clients to pay for a re-sub?

Not having a go or anything but the SV business model made more sense, knock out cheap boxes, sell as many as possible and worry about other things later :)

EDIT: Unless the UK subs have all been done by Virmin employees, in which case costs aren't a worry :)

But not all the subs needed have to be full package subs though and some uploaders may have 2, 3 or 4 cards on same account.

But not all the subs needed have to be full package subs though and some uploaders may have 2, 3 or 4 cards on same account.

I was basing this on the statements that KV is supposed to have multiple UK subs access points.

Dozens of UK based uplinks means dozens of monthly subs so won't there come a time where someone will have to pull the plug from a cost point of view or at least go through a process of getting existing clients to pay for a re-sub?

Not having a go or anything but the SV business model made more sense, knock out cheap boxes, sell as many as possible and worry about other things later :)

There are ways where a CS operator like KV doesn't have to actually support the cost of the subscriptions. A fairly obvious one is for them to 'recruit' helpers who are willing to donate a card with a 'particular' package in return for something else - say 2 or 3 boxes and access to the full service. Stitch the 'packages' together from several 'volunteers' and you soon build up the full service with very little outlay. Quite a few of the so called 'community' based CS servers work in this fashion and it explains how they can continue to run perpetually.

I suspect thats at least partly how KV run and what makes their system very different from the SV system.

Really...I hear all KV have been own since yesterday..apparantly TMC raided as well as some other locations..

maybe not so reliable after all....

Really...I hear all KV have been own since yesterday..apparantly TMC raided as well as some other locations..

maybe not so reliable after all....

Yes :) i was under the impression they were a well organised team with offshore servers.

Yes :) i was under the impression they were a well organised team with offshore servers.

Where did you hear this from then?

When the cable scene went off last year, I was out of the country, came back to non working boxes. At that time I did a quick peruse of the current situation and apart from people believing that KV has much better support didn't find anything that convinced me that the SV was a more disabled inbred cousin of the KV.

At the time I personally wasn't convinced that one box was any much better than the other.

Back