Kodi vpn

MH

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Gents, hopefully not a silly question but should I be looking at using a VPN whilst using Wookie and all the gifts that it provides?

no idea with wookie as never used nor ever will use it
some say its a good idea to use vpn if running kodi personally do not use
if you do go down that route make sure its a fast one or other problems will arise

Yeah that was my thoughts to @alimac.
Essentially from what I have seen a number of streams for movies etc seem to be torrent based rather than a direct stream. Hence my question and concern.

Just gauging feedback at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's torrent based streams then a VPN is a must m8

Been using the wookie for over a year without a VPN

But it is recommended to use one for the torrent based streams

Correct me if I'm wrong as I don't know, but I thought watching a stream would be like watching a posted video on youtube ? you are not actually downloading as such, and not re-sharing

I think it would be hard to make a case against you ?

I don't know that much about it either, I think we need an expert to advise us on this subject.

But I do know that even some sport add-ons are inaccessible without a vpn

And if it was that safe or legal to use these repositories, add-ons, and community builds, then Kodi itself would not have banned and blacklisted them

Look at the list of banned and blacklisted ones here; it’s almost all the ones that we use including the Wookie

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

This is a very clear explanation of the legality of it, if you don’t mind the Greek Accent

Kodi XBMC Legal or Illegal, Blacklisted Banned Repos Addons Kodi

Code:

There’s the safe way of doing things, then there’s the unsafe way that could result in hefty fines or even criminal charges. We’ve advocated streaming as the safest method in legal terms for those looking to get their entertainment fix online, continue reading to find out more.
The information contained below is based on our personal research and consultation with legal professionals, however we accept no liability for this information and suggest you consult your own legal representation should you be concerned.
When you’re streaming, what’s happening is parts of the file are being saved in what’s called a “cache” in order to allow the video to play continuosly. At no point is the file saved as a complete file, and all you’re doing is watching something someone else put online. These types of files are hosted at sites called “cyberlockers” which generally uphold their legal obligations should a take down request be sent to them by rightsholders. In terms of being traceable back to you, the cyberlocker is the only entity that will know you’re streaming from their site. There’s nothing illegal about watching streams no matter where you’re from, however uploading pirated content to cyberlockers would be illegal.
Downloading from cyberlockers (as opposed to only streaming from them) is slightly less legal because you’re actually saving a copy of the entire video onto your computer. It’s still considered to be legal pretty much everywhere, but that may change in the future.
Torrents and torrent-based apps like Popcorn Time are where the sketchiness comes into play. When you download from a torrent, you’re unknowingly also complicit in a process called reseeding; basically meaning your computer is being used as a server to share the file with other users as you download. At that point, you are no longer just passively watching the video, but are participating in the distribution of this file. It is also very easy for other torrenters to unmask your IP address since you’re acting as a public server, copyright holders will often uncover the identities of pirates this way. Depending on the level of participation, fines of anything from $300 – $3000 are known to be given out regularly.
The only really dangerous aspect of streaming is when people start to charge money for access to content. If you don’t own the content, than charging access to streams is highly illegal and could likely result in jail time. We’re highly against this type of thing, it happens quite often with sports. It’s fairly easy for copyright holders to subpoena the payment processors of these services to uncover the identities of users, at which point you could get fined. It’s also quite immoral to charge for access to something you don’t own.
There isn’t anything to worry about if you’re only using stuff you find on this site, but if you’re looking to minimize your liability anyway, it would be a good idea to subscribe to a VPN Service to entirely hide your identity when surfing the web. As privacy rights online begin to diminish, more and more users have opted to surf the web through a VPN Service in order to maintain their privacy. They are easy to install and could in many cases actually speeed up your internet connection.

I don't know that much about it either, I think we need an expert to advise us on this subject.

But I do know that even some sport add-ons are inaccessible without a vpn

And if it was that safe or legal to use these repositories, add-ons, and community builds, then Kodi itself would not have banned and blacklisted them

Look at the list of banned and blacklisted ones here; it’s almost all the ones that we use including the Wookie

Code:

Just removed all the add-ons from the blacklist and I have only got Youtube left. :proud:

Just removed all the add-ons from the blacklist and I have only got Youtube left. :proud:

That's not strictly true is it, there are tons of perfectly legal add-ons on there as you can see on the pic below

But no one is saying not to use our favourite add-ons, just have to do it at our own risk

and this I suppose is where the VPN comes in to play

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
VPN is only as good as the company that provide it as its not 100% secure on most
just one take on it here

Code:

VPN is only as good as the company that provide it as its not 100% secure on most
just one take on it here

Code:

They’re just advertising their own VPN package

If you want impartial advice on VPN, with no gain for themselves look here

Code:

lots of info out their good & bad all must be aware because you use vpn everything is rosy
just make sure you check on provider before sign up

I have used a VPN service for years now, very happy and it hardly affects the internet speed (which some do). $40 a year with access to 32 countries, the best thing for me is that it supports all the major VPN protocols: PPTP, L2TP, SSTP and OpenVPN (Both TCP and UDP Mode) protocols on all servers, and provides the highest level of security using advanced encryption and authentication protocols that protects data from unauthorised access.
I have mine set up on a DD WRT router connected in serial to my main router thus giving me two separate networks, one with a Spanish IP and one English IP.

It was Popcorn Time that I noticed was Torrent based.
Is there anyway of finding out which streams are purely download and those that re-seed? As the simplest thing for me to do would be to remove all torrent based ones if they do exist within Kodi.

Back