Kids problem

Dutcho

VIP POOF
VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok so I have given them both a pc for their room's and networked the things.

Now the problem is they are msning their mates till the early hours of the morning.

I need to restrict this access, is there a program or something that I can alter to stop them using the internet at a set time every night.

Please say yes ;)

Old thread but the story continues, ;)

Ok sorted my two out through the router as MH said. The neighbours kid is the problem now and they don't have a router. I've been asked to limit her as she also stays on msn forever, I tried the programs in this thread with limited success but they no longer seem to work, think she has worked out a way round it.

Do you lot know of any more upto date software I could try ? I found out she was adjusting the clock to get round the limit so I removed that privlidge but I don't know how she does it now :(

there's a lot of stuff been tried here,not 1 of you has mentioned make em wear boxing gloves after 22-00hrs,boxing gloves = no msn,n stuff lol

On linksys routers you can set it to turn off the internet at certain hours to all users. So you could say only be connected to the internet from 7am - 12 am

If you change the router username and password then there is nothing the kids can do about it. The clock is internal in the router so changing the time wont work. Also, the only thing they can do is either turn it off or reset the router.

Turning it off, well, that just turns it off and the settings stay when you turn it on.

Reset it, and theyve lost all their settings, including the ones to connect to the internet, so they are screwed either way.

But I must say, being a teenager myself I do understand them being up at late hours. What on earth is the point of going to bed early? Did you know that a teenagers metabolism, unlike an aldult, means that teenagers wont get tired until late at night. A teenagers body wants to goto bed late and wake up late. I bet, if you made them goto bed on time, they will lie there for an hour awake.

but anyways, if you insist then my solution will work, but only if you have a linksys router, but i imagine all other routers have similiar options.

PS If you have not changed the username and password then the default is admin for both fields.

You probs found the solution but best way is using the Access Restrictions in your router, if your friend has the same problem and doesnt have a router then tell them to get one. They aint very expensive these days. Just make sure the kids dont know the admin details and that the router aint in their room as im sure they will try messing about with it.

i got a copy of netnanny 5 which i put on stepson pc he wasnt happy about it cos i set it to knock of at 10pm and starts at 3.30 pm so if he was skiving he couldnt
use his pc thru the day and he did try to play about with it till i hid it and passworded it aswell,really peed him of he couldnt download from file sharing sites cos i blocked all them lol, pm me if you want one and instructions how to hide
it

Just bringing this thread upto date with news.

The software provided worked brilliantly on the neighbours machine ;)

My Router limit setup has been working fine till last night.

It seem's the boy (my son) has worked out that if he sign's into msn messenger on-line when the router closes the internet at 10:30 that page will still run and he can keep msn on line ?

How the foooook, web pages don't load and his normal msn won't load but this on-line messenger which is a web page itself really still works !

I cannot understand why. Can you ?

I use a program called childcontrol... its invisible, password protected and allows you to sya what programs can access the net and when. It lets you set usage limits for each prog to so you can sy 4 hours of msn a day is enough e.t.c. Oh and it will turn off the pc when you want and you can even put a really nice picture of evil daddy dutcho on waving goodbye efore it shuts down m8! I've used it for a couple of years and its never let me down.

http://www.salfeld.com/software/childcontrol/index.html

Use the trial you'll never look back.

http://www.comvigo.com/imlock_home_edition.htm

u could try this ;-) he wont be able 2 get round it

PS the router ways ok but then all he has 2 do is to change the mac address of the pc or the ip and he is off again.

The web session keeps working because of how the data is transfered, it actually fairly common place 2 find students or employess using web msn 2 get round prevention placed on networks to prevent the program from being loaded.

But fair play 2 him 2 workin it out.

Back