Keep Losing Connection

Evastar

Inactive User
Reaction score
Ok i have wireless broadband from eircom, through my phone line, it's really crap and keeps cutting out, especially in the evenings, i'm sick of ringing them and getting bs, this evening i got told it was because my line was only capable of taking 4 mb and was supposed to be 7 mb and that was causing the connection to drop; he changed it back down to 4 mb and said my connection should be more stable, doesn't appear to be.

Also i got a new router, the old one seemed to be able to reconnect quickly after the DSL light went out, this one i seem to need to turn it off and back on again? :( is really bugging me any ideas folks.

I've had them out checking the phone line etc before, they say everything is fine.

Just out of interest Eva, have you tried changing the channel on the wireless router, sometimes it can make a different with interference.

also if ur pc is wireless g/n compatible
alot of the newer routers from eircom are "n" and can cause probs with connection

Thanks, i just googled it, apparently the default channel is 11, i checked my settings and the channel was 11 so i changed it to 5, will see if it makes any difference :)

Thanks a million,fingers crossed, hope that works lol

@bod, this is happening on two pcs and a laptop, so think its definitely the connection. also third router :(

Last edited:
Thanks, i just googled it, apparently the default channel is 11, i checked my settings and the channel was 11 so i changed it to 5, will see if it makes any difference :)

Google is da man...smartest person I know, sometimes it helps changing channels and sometimes it doesn't but certainly worth a try.

@bod, this is happening on two pcs and a laptop, so think its definitely the connection. also third router :(

You can use a product like,

inSSIDer Wi-Fi Scanner | MetaGeek

which will scan for all wifi signals that you can pick up. It will show what channels they are using. It does not pick up things like wireless phones but it should give you a good indication if there are any clashes with the channel you have selected.

Are all the computers wireless, would be good to troubleshoot with a wired connection then you can check if it's the wireless or the internet going down, not much point changing channels if it's your bband dropping all the time.

Yeah they are all wireless at the min, but i can take the laptop down and plug it into an ethernet connection.

Thought changing channels sorted it, but it dropped another couple of times last night, so i dunno. back to the drawing board :(

you need to determine what's dropping, does the laptop come up disconnected or from wireless or just from the internet, changing channel is pointless if it's your adsl going down, if you can get to your router page when the internet goes you should see the connection status and if you can you will know your wireless is fine also, has the router got any connection (adsl) logs to check?

How would i check connection logs?

It seems to be the DSL light goes out? You see the router is downstairs in a different room so i'm not usually in that room when the connection drops. But i will try it with the lappy wired this weekend.

log into your router and have a poke about in the menu's many dont have them as folks couldn't care less but some do, if the dsl light goes out and it's been like this over 3 routers then it's something to do with your phone line or extension wiring, is the router plugged into the master telephone socket and has your phone line been tested?

yeah has been tested and is in master socket. will get my friend to come test the line again maybe, see what he says

have eircom checked it? if they are like bt just keep on at them till they replace the line or fix it, they will also have a log of your disconnections.

yeah they've checked the line and repaired it before as well. my friend works for them, i'll get him out, as if i do it officially and they don't find a fault or say the fault is internal they will charge me a call out fee, think its around 100 euro :(

Ok, spoke to my friend, he said not to call customer services until he has been out to look at it. He is going to run a new line into the house and wants me to get rid of my phones as he said the wiring there mightnt be up to scratch, and that i should get two handsfree phones.

Anyone recommend a model of handsfree phone?

yes, gigaset a580 , you can get the base station for about £60 which includes one hadset and extra handsets can be had for about £20 all from amazon

its a standard cordless dect phone so works on your standard landline, but you can also plug it into network and use it for VOIP , sign up for a free account with SIPGATE and get a free internet based geographic number for free to use for buisiness etc etc.

lots and lots of stuff can be done with the phone, and brilliant deals on VOIP as well, i have the same phone and the quality is excellant, paging and internal call quality is supreme and the signal range is fantastic.

Siemens Gigaset A580 IP DECT Cordless Phone - Black: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Back