just went through a speed trap at mac 10

my last speeding offence, and i don't care what you say but i can't see any signs are any thing telling me that i had to slow down....

my last vectra exactly a year ago....well nearly to the day

Do you expect them to put big flashing signs or something up to let you know that there is a speed camera up ahead. It's not as if you where a little bit over the limit and you've just said you've been done before for speeding so obviously didn't learn any lessons from that.

I'm not saying i've never went over the speed limit but 86mph in a 40mph zone is just madness plain and simple. You've admitted doing it so sit back and wait and take whatever punishment is handed to you.

Do you expect them to put big flashing signs or something up to let you know that there is a speed camera up ahead. It's not as if you where a little bit over the limit and you've just said you've been done before for speeding so obviously didn't learn any lessons from that.

I'm not saying i've never went over the speed limit but 86mph in a 40mph zone is just madness plain and simple. You've admitted doing it so sit back and wait and take whatever punishment is handed to you.

Well I'm with you mate.

I work in an industrial estate where a lot of drivers seem to think it's they're god given right to break the speed limit just because it an industrial estate?

The thing is, there is a nursery in the estate and the kids with their carers go out for walks on good days, I dread the thought that some speeding driver loses control and kills the kids?

Accidents do happen as we have had someone crash into our flag poles outside the factory and you would not believe the ground the car had to cover to reach them.

Its just a pity speeding drivers tend to kill innocent by standers instead of themselves.

Theres no justice!

Ok he has broken the limit, well doubled it, but he was on a dual carriage way and not bombing around streets ect. Speeding in certain places should not be mixed up with petrol heads racing around streets where you live.

What speed do you drive on a motorway, be honest.

I don't condone speeding at all but can't cast the first stone coz I am guilty of it myself.

What speed do you drive on a motorway, be honest.

Big difference between a motorway and a dual carrigeway mate?

We have a dual carrigway that runs right through the city of Dundee and the speed limit is 50Mph. I honetly wont venture much above that as although it's not classed as a built up area, there are pedestrians usually trying to cross it instead of using the walkways (Ok, it's their fault if they get killed for not using the walkway).

I have had a motorway blow-out at about 70Mph in a van and thought my time was up? You never know what might happen, that's why roads (Even dual carrigeway's) have speed limits.

If the dual carrigeway Dibbers was on had a 40Mph speed limit, that kind of tells me that its not in the middle of nowhere but close to a built up area?

I am not condoning this but.....

Just over a year ago my mate got flashed by a static camera at 100MPH+ in a 30MPH zone, it was 4AM in the morning and simply forget the camera was there.

After an hour on the poop shoot shitting himself he completed his tax book as if he had sold it 2 days before, but used his mates address but not his real name.

A couple of months later he sold the car properly, he did recieve the nip to go to court but simply filled in the form stating that he had disposed of the vehicle.

A tad underhanded, but he did keep his license squeeky clean............

twas referring to the picture i posted as a little bit of humour....:proud:

it was in an under pass....no pedestrians are able to even got onto it. it's surrounded by 20 or 30 meter stone walls that you can't just jump over to cross the road.

Last edited:
speedos are said to be within 5% accurate and bit morw due to tyre wear etc...how did you get 67 going at 80??

it is a vauxhall after all lol !!

I was going on my speedo, when was mechanical was out alot due to different wheels... but now changed to digital set up, bypassing the cable an its spot on :) checked with gps and mph digital read out on digi ford clocks

double the speed limit is a ban mate.

if you really need your license then give them lawyers a call, altho do expect to pay a 3 figure sum.

i got 3 points on my license from doing 3 miles of the the limit - which comes off in 2 years time.
i used to speed loads, never in built up areas tho only on the A1. and yes in my younger days i admit i have done excessive speeds, more thn double on 70mph roads, i was stupid and would never do it again now that im more experiances.

the laws regardig motoring in this country are pish! including prices of everything. i wouldnt mind paying the penalty if i did something thats morally wrong but it pisses me off when paying a penalty for something they say is saving lives but in actual fact is actually more dangerous and is a revenue raiser.

its better to have traffic cops than speed cameras.

i only speed on motorways when it's late at night and early morning when there's no one about, if i crash it's mostly that I'll kill my self rather than carer of the road into a church full of kids....vectra's chew motorways up like soft cheese,110 MPH along a motorway with NO other drivers gets you home.

No i never speed around the streets where it's 30 or 20 and yes this bit of road does run in between rural areas but it's impossible to cross as as pedestrian there is simply no where for them to enter or exit the road, right at the bottom is the round about and i guess if i did hit that at a billion MPH then you could expect to be hurtled into the next city like Richard Hammond, in his jet car....maybe thats what it is...too much top gear for me.

still i was a little silly, but I'm sure i could have gotten a few more out of her.....na just messing, gota be light hearted.

what will be will be.

i only speed on motorways when it's late at night and early morning when there's no one about, if i crash it's mostly that I'll kill my self rather than carer of the road into a church full of kids....vectra's chew motorways up like soft cheese,110 MPH along a motorway with NO other drivers gets you home.

No i never speed around the streets where it's 30 or 20 and yes this bit of road does run in between rural areas but it's impossible to cross as as pedestrian there is simply no where for them to enter or exit the road, right at the bottom is the round about and i guess if i did hit that at a billion MPH then you could expect to be hurtled into the next city like Richard Hammond, in his jet car....maybe thats what it is...too much top gear for me.

still i was a little silly, but I'm sure i could have gotten a few more out of her.....na just messing, gota be light hearted.

what will be will be.

I appreciate your honesty Dibbers. The majority of drivers have broken the speed limit on motorways, I just see Dual carrigeways as a different kettle of fish?

Even late at night there is a chance a wild animal can run out in front of you and make you lose control? and motorways are never empty at night? There is no such thing as an empty motorway? Less busy Yes, Empty, No?

If your going to do the crime, then be prepared to do the time? 'As they say'

imho there no diffrent between a 70 moterway and a 70 dual carrage way apart from its got a hard sholder?

However this said - The slip road in dual carrage ways tent to be shorter and more dangerous, But in terms of road surface/srounding there not much diffrence...

imho there no diffrent between a 70 moterway and a 70 dual carrage way apart from its got a hard sholder?

However this said - The slip road in dual carrage ways tent to be shorter and more dangerous, But in terms of road surface/srounding there not much diffrence...

There's more to it than that.

A lot of dual carriage ways run right next to residential areas. The house I lived in growing up was right by a dual carriage way and there were several junctions along it (not sliproads) for cars to merge or cross over. There were several businesses running along side of it as well as a sweet shop and cinema. Quite a lot of kids around. When I was growing up, the speed limit was 70.... however a few accidents and a death on there soon bought it down to 40.

Almost the same where my grandparents live. At the bottom of their road is a dual carriage way and there's no slip road to leave it (just a regular junction turn off) and no slip road to merge onto it. That still is at 70 at the moment though. I'm told it often has speed camera vans along it though now.

First of all it depends on the duel carriage way / A roads, I know some that might as well be motorways, and some motorways that might as well be Duel Carriage ways.

I have been done by a mobile van for doing 32 on a 30 mile limit road, but to be fair (by accident, changing from a old banger that would shack at arround 70-80 to a new MG TF) I found myself doing 140 once so I take the spped fine for that instead and it makes me feel better.

The bad news is I think you are in for a ban but it will only be for between 1 week and 2 months

There's more to it than that.

A lot of dual carriage ways run right next to residential areas. The house I lived in growing up was right by a dual carriage way and there were several junctions along it (not sliproads) for cars to merge or cross over. There were several businesses running along side of it as well as a sweet shop and cinema. Quite a lot of kids around. When I was growing up, the speed limit was 70.... however a few accidents and a death on there soon bought it down to 40.

Almost the same where my grandparents live. At the bottom of their road is a dual carriage way and there's no slip road to leave it (just a regular junction turn off) and no slip road to merge onto it. That still is at 70 at the moment though. I'm told it often has speed camera vans along it though now.

Fair play dude like i said some places need the lower limt but on the other hand some places dont was all i was trying to make!

What's all this nonsense you guys are chatting about " auto ban at double the speed limit " that law got changed nearly 10 years ago, it is now fixed at +30 MPH for all area's ( I don't know what they do about 20 MPH zones though ) eg in a 70 auto ban at 100, big fine at 96~99, 3 points 71 ~95, although ACPO guidelines stipulate 10% +2 mph but they are only guidelines not law ! which means 79 mph in a 70.

To the poster who got said that got a ticket for 32 in a 30, a decent solicitor would have got you off, after going through the spiel with the magistrate over why the ACPO came up with those guidelines in the first place !

There is no such thing as an autoban..10% + 2mph, all rubbish I am afraid.

Fact (been there, seen it, got done by it)
30 mph over the speed limit results in a court appearance. A van, speed gun, etc have no choice in the matter 30mph....court.

There are many "loopholes", etc available for you from here. Me and a very expensive solicitor tried all of them. None worked for me, but there are many here that claim to have had good results using them.

If you do go to court (none of the loopholes worked, didn't want to contest, etc) you must take a solicitor with you and you must convince "his worship" that other people will suffer as a result of you not being able to drive, you are very sorry, it was a one off, and anything else that you may find to lube him up with.

awwww shooots man. crap happens, you will find out in a weeks time. i neally got done on motorway m1 where they have road works and they have average speed camera checks.

A few years ago I got done on the M20 in kent - there was a temp. 50Mph limit in force, although all the signs and roadworks had gone, I was clocked at 76mph - I got a 14 day ban because "we're fed up of motorists from all over the country coming here and flouting our speed limits"

I pointed out that the signs had been removed, they said that it had been correctly advertised in the local paper and that's all they need. It was upheld at appeal to the crown court!

A few years ago I got done on the M20 in kent - there was a temp. 50Mph limit in force, although all the signs and roadworks had gone, I was clocked at 76mph - I got a 14 day ban because "we're fed up of motorists from all over the country coming here and flouting our speed limits"

I pointed out that the signs had been removed, they said that it had been correctly advertised in the local paper and that's all they need. It was upheld at appeal to the crown court!

Bit much that. They talk about people coming from all over the country, then expect them to read the LOCAL papers. I would have thought 'no signs = no speed limit. Daft.

Exactly my point, the solicitor agreed with me, but that's what the court decided - there was a very long line of banned drivers walking out of court that day.

Back