just installed my Octo LNB

sgm1986

Inactive User
Reaction score
installed no problem but noticed the 1,2,3,4,5 on the side, my old one was on 3 so i set this one to 3, but jus wanted to know what they mean,

also somthin bout 13 degrees clockwise, whats the significance of it?

im lovin this sky learning!!! :banana:

the 1-5 is the skew.

i always have mine set at 3 (they are default this anyway) when installing.

if any transponders fail after i set dish vertical and horizontal to max signal on my meter, i adjust skew , but this is VERY rare.

as the satellite aint directly south of us, we are looking across at it on an angle, roughly 25 degrees, so the horizontal and vertical polarised signals also hit us on an angle, more of an X than a + shape, so you twist the LNB so the H & V pickups inside the LNB match the incoming 'twisted' (or skewed) signals, the further west you go, the more theyre twisted

so you skew the lnb to match, it has to be extremely off to seriously affect signals, but is does affect the BER of signals

3 is average for most of the uk

as the satellite aint directly south of us, we are looking across at it on an angle, roughly 25 degrees, so the horizontal and vertical polarised signals also hit us on an angle, more of an X than a + shape, so you twist the LNB so the H & V pickups inside the LNB match the incoming 'twisted' (or skewed) signals, the further west you go, the more theyre twisted

so you skew the lnb to match, it has to be extremely off to seriously affect signals, but is does affect the BER of signals

3 is average for most of the uk

Didnt make any sense to me at this stage, but sounded very impressive.

Thumbs up to all the knowledge mate.

Back