Other Just how much DOES Google know about you and your PC?

trevortron

VIP Member
VIP Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just got a new PC last week (Happy birthday to me!!) and a very nice machine it is- an HP with i7 (4th gen) with 12GB ram and a decent nVidia 750 dedicated graphics card.
As it only shipped with IE, I used that to download Chrome (isn't that what everyone does?) and all went smoothly. Then Chrome asked if I wanted to sign in to my Google account. Now I am always a bit wary when something asks for my sign-in credentials, but this seemed a logical request.
Well, to my surprise, all my bookmarks & extensions magically appeared exactly as they were on my old PC. So far so good. Now here's the worrying bit. The new PC also knows all my sign-in details (including passwords, Chrome auto-fill etc. etc) for every site I am registered with, including DW of course. AND MY BANK!!
So, whilst it's very handy for me not having to re-remember all my old passwords, it would also be un-imaginably useful for anyone else who has access to this info.
Luckily my bank's site has an extra layer of security so there's no great worry there (they can have my overdraft any time lol!) but few other sites have that.
A bit worrying to say the least.

well known to track all your movements

personally never use chrome dont see the need to

well known to track all your movements

personally never use chrome dont see the need to

Too right! And no doubt by clicking the 'I Agree' box somewhere along the line one is allowing all this.
I've grown to liking Chrome, because it 'works' and doesn't bog the machine down like IE does. I've tried FF & it just didn't have the same smooth feel to it. What do you use out of interest?

for me pale moon & opera sometimes epic

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

take a look mate but think its chrome based

Browser-sync is on Firefox too. However, since I use Linux all my details are most likely in an NSA file in any case...

Christ almighty that's outrageous...... all I get for my birthday is a bar of fruit & feckin nut. You lucky git ;)

Thanks for that, just installed it and all seems well- and it 'feels' just the same, just hopefully without the spying.... :Cheers:

Edit: Just had a wee play with the proxy settings, as some ad's were sneaking through (can't have that now, can we?) and they've gone too. Happy days :) :)

for me pale moon & opera sometimes epic

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

take a look mate but think its chrome based

Last edited:
I know for a fact Google track most things but ive always been so used to chrome.As i like it when ever i get a new machine everything is automatically there for me.Is this a good thing maybe not?Its mainly quickness really i don't like ie its slow and chunky i think many people just get chrome on their first install.Maybe on my next machine i will try something different.

same here IE11 works fine cant see why people moan about it :)

IE seems OK on newer, high-ish spec PC's (works fine on this one for instance) but older PC's struggle a bit with it, which is how I came to use Chrome and got to like it. (I never chuck anything away, I just find new uses for them lol!).

But who's to say MS aren't 'at it' too?

Last edited:
tbh i turn off remember password in ie, firefox and chrome as they are easily found.

i only use chrome for a few sites and all with a plugin called zenmate for those blocked site the uk isp's insist on trying to block lol

i use stickypassword instead for all bookmarked sites and anything with a password ie DW etc (except work payroll, internet backing etc etc)

Back