Just how much DOES Google know about you?

trevortron

VIP Member
VIP Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I got a bit of a surprise recently when Facebook's "People you might know" suggested someone, and the only link I have to to this person is that his number is stored in my (Android) phone. No mutual friends, acquaintances, I don't have his email address, JUST his phone number. Creepy? Just a bit.

Then I tried this. Click on this link Welcome to My Activity and under Location History, hit 'Visit Timeline'. And there you have it. Pretty much everywhere you've been for the past year, all mapped out for you to see. And probably anyone else too if they know how to do it.

More > here <.

It all seems a bit insidious.

Last edited:
I looked and when i first went to your link, showed me two places i had been today. When i tried a date like yesterday is said i had 'no location data'. When i went back to today it said I had 'no location data'

Yep, google certainly is tracking us even when we ask them not to!

All social media, search engines and our devices that are connected to internet are collecting data about use. Big brother is watching.

They know even when we are shitting, for me the location is worrisome

Just started using a new phone and turned something off that sounded like it would be snooping.

I just noticed the bar charts on google maps the other day when you search for pubs and whatnot which tells you the busy times and current status.

I love being watched and tracked. I know somebody knows where I am at all times. Rain or shine, night or day.

more info
Android continues to send location data using WiFi scanning even with WiFi turned 'off'

A hot potato: Ever since the Associated Press exposed that Google is still tracking users who have turned off Location History on their accounts, the company has come under intense scrutiny. A new study finds that Location History and Web & App Activity are only the tip of the iceberg.

A new study titled “Google Data Collection” published on Tuesday catalogs how much data Google is collecting from users and how it is cobbled together to make a salable product. The analysis was conducted by Vanderbilt University Computer Science Professor Douglas C. Schmidt. While many of his findings are not surprising, they are nonetheless remarkable.

info

Study shows Google's tracking practices go way beyond Location History

Just started using a new phone and turned something off that sounded like it would be snooping.

I just noticed the bar charts on google maps the other day when you search for pubs and whatnot which tells you the busy times and current status.

Presumably they use similar snooping techniques to warn of traffic delays in the Maps app. Very useful to some, so much so I reckon many are prepared to sacrifice a bit of privacy in return.

Presumably they use similar snooping techniques to warn of traffic delays in the Maps app. Very useful to some, so much so I reckon many are prepared to sacrifice a bit of privacy in return.

They use cell data to do the traffic stuff.

All this can be turned off or managed if you take the time to set it up. Just my 2 bobs worth.

Back