Just bought one!

lab

Inactive User
Reaction score
After much consideration I have succumbed to temptation and bought the Golden Media version of the Triple tuner.
Now comes the fun bit, how to use it!
I wanted to replace my Raspberry Pi which is running XBMC and my Spiderbox SD5000 as well as my slybox.
Hopefully my TV cabinet will look a little tidier now and I will be able to "lose" 2 remotes.

can you send me a link as to where you got it from please and how are you finding it so far?

I bought it on Ebay. I got the version with the T2 tuner.
The Golden Media Spark Triplex is about £50 cheaper than the Amiko Alien 2 triple tuner which is strange considering they are the same receiver!
I had a little trouble updating it to begin with until I bought the Kingston drive "Everyone" said I had to get... You gotta try though.
Picture quality is good (Better than sly box) and the addons work ok Youtube etc and I am still playing with them but I think I need to get a keyboard to get the most out of it.
It is early days, and I have limited time available to play (Wife wants to watch TV too) but if I had to find something wrong with it, I would say I find the channel change a bit too slow for my liking.
I am on the late shift next week so I should get a chance to sort out my Lion while the wife is out.

I bought it on Ebay. I got the version with the T2 tuner.
The Golden Media Spark Triplex is about £50 cheaper than the Amiko Alien 2 triple tuner which is strange considering they are the same receiver!
I had a little trouble updating it to begin with until I bought the Kingston drive "Everyone" said I had to get... You gotta try though.
Picture quality is good (Better than sly box) and the addons work ok Youtube etc and I am still playing with them but I think I need to get a keyboard to get the most out of it.
It is early days, and I have limited time available to play (Wife wants to watch TV too) but if I had to find something wrong with it, I would say I find the channel change a bit too slow for my liking.
I am on the late shift next week so I should get a chance to sort out my Lion while the wife is out.

found this one!

Golden Media Spark Triplex - 2 x DVB-S2 & 1 x DVB-T - Triple Tuner Receiver | eBay

what image are you running on it? and how does it work if your recording one channel and want to watch another one. Is it seemless? ie you just channel as per normal

im border line buying one?

What images are you running?

how are you finding it dual recording etc?

I'm looking into buying one of these or a couple of other boxes depending on what money I can accumulate between now and Tuesday 'cos I can get one of these for £10 more than the spark reloaded version! How are you finding this box and what is the image support like? Have you had any issues with it so far or is it serving you well? Would be good to hear some feedback and maybe finding out what images are available for these boxes as I believe they are basically clones of the Amiko alien boxes aren't they?

THis looks a really good receiver and a great price. Does anyone know how reliable they are?

How are you finding this box and what is the image support like? Have you had any issues with it so far or is it serving you well? Would be good to hear some feedback and maybe finding out what images are available for these boxes as I believe they are basically clones of the Amiko alien boxes aren't they?

The Triplex is not a clone ,its the exact same box as the Alien 2 and the Sab Unix Triple HD ,just slightly different case.
Whilst Fulan are behind the board design and Spark software, the boxes in the main (SAB/Golden Media/Amiko) all come out of the one manufacturing plant in Tangiers.

I have a Triplex running PKT Hyperion image and its a very nice box,very fast and reliable.Great picture quality too.
I had a Dm800 before but now use a Triplex and its much faster at booting and running plugins primarily because of the faster cpu.
It has a few slight quirks but the wife has given it the thumbs up and she is not easy to please,lol

Last edited:
Thankyou for the info.might get one at them prices.

Just a small update, I am very pleased with the box and at the moment the Enigma side is proving easier and better! I am also using a Hyperion 2 image :)

Not really set up yet to try recording so I will have to get back to you on that. Freesat is very good over several Satellites and the TSmedia app is getting a lot of use as well.

I am not sure what the fascination is with ftp! Why would you want to use a computer remotely just to enter a lion? Bazaar..

The Triplex is not a clone ,its the exact same box as the Alien 2 and the Sab Unix Triple HD ,just slightly different case.
Whilst Fulan are behind the board design and Spark software, the boxes in the main (SAB/Golden Media/Amiko) all come out of the one manufacturing plant in Tangiers.

I have a Triplex running PKT Hyperion image and its a very nice box,very fast and reliable.Great picture quality too.
I had a Dm800 before but now use a Triplex and its much faster at booting and running plugins primarily because of the faster cpu.
It has a few slight quirks but the wife has given it the thumbs up and she is not easy to please,lol

Hi Fano, my old DM800 clone is starting to act up with age so I'm considering the SAB Triple Tuner box, at the moment I am using an external USB DTT tuner in the dreambox to pickup Irish Saorview channels but it's not ideal, do you know how these combo boxes (SAB,AMIKO,Golden Media) handle CCCam & clines , I bought the ferguson ariva 120 combo when they first came out just to see how it worked but never liked the cheap GUI & limited functions it has compared to the dreambox....in short would you recommend the SAB box.

Hi Lenny
I have the Triplex ,which is the same as the SAB and I find it an excellent receiver.
The receivers handle sealions but you have to use Oscam instead of CCcam but thats not a big issue,I actually prefer Oscam ,its has more options .
Hyperion 3 is probably the best Enigma 2 image ,its very stable and has lots of features.
The SAB is good for Saorview too ,you have 3 tuners .

The SAB is a good upgrade for you ,its much faster at booting ,~75 seconds and the extra cpu speed is noticeable ,the 800 is sluggish in comparison.
The only cons are that the sound levels on the ac3 channels can be a bit low and the external hard drive can rarely lock up but apart from that its a great receiver ,wife is very happy with it and has easily transferred over from Dm800.:Biggrin2:

The other options available to you would be a Mini Duo clone which looks nice and is around 135 euro from China.It has no Saorview tuner though .
Next step up would be a Gigablue Clone for 255 euro or 280 with a Saorview tuner.
Solo 2 is well over 300 euro,there are clones of this out now for under 200 euro delivered but I wouldnt spend that much money on a recently released clone,too many possible issues.

Hope this helps

Hi Fano, my old DM800 clone is starting to act up with age so I'm considering the SAB Triple Tuner box, at the moment I am using an external USB DTT tuner in the dreambox to pickup Irish Saorview channels but it's not ideal, do you know how these combo boxes (SAB,AMIKO,Golden Media) handle CCCam & clines , I bought the ferguson ariva 120 combo when they first came out just to see how it worked but never liked the cheap GUI & limited functions it has compared to the dreambox....in short would you recommend the SAB box.

@Fano, Thanks for the info,....I ordered the SAB triple box on Saturday €159 incl shipping, should have it tomorrow, I know what you mean about the wife too, I have been nursing the dreambox this last while & herself was texting me at work with the comment " this feckin box is frozen again, I going to throw it in the bin" & I'd have to talk her through the CPR process over the phone so she could get the dreambox working again.

Last edited by a moderator:
wheni had my alien 8900 it performed amazingly but i blew it up lol...

Has been replaced with a cloud ibox mini which is even more stable despite the heat issues although i never leave any of these boxes on over night.

wheni had my alien 8900 it performed amazingly but i blew it up lol...

Has been replaced with a cloud ibox mini which is even more stable despite the heat issues although i never leave any of these boxes on over night.
I always used a laptop cooling fan under the dreambox unless it was breakfast time, then I cooked rashers on it :Angryfire

@Fano, Thanks for the info,....I ordered the SAB triple box on Saturday €159 incl shipping, should have it tomorrow, I know what you mean about the wife too, I have been nursing the dreambox this last while & herself was texting me at work with the comment " this feckin box is frozen again, I going to throw it in the bin" & I'd have to talk her through the CPR process over the phone so she could get the dreambox working again.

Good stuff Lenny,best of luck with the receiver ,lots of good backup images out there .
The Dm800 served me well,I used Dream Elite Phoenix on it ,most stable image ,was rock solid for years.

The SD picture quality on the SAB/Triplex is better than on the Dm800 ,very noticeable on a big set .

Last edited by a moderator:
ah the Dream Elite Phoenix image was magic until Dream Elite folded & their servers went down so no DTT driver downloads, I switched to a DreamboxUK image which restored DTT tuner support but saorview signal tends to break up a lot,.........anyway I'll give the 800 a decent burial :sad:

ah the Dream Elite Phoenix image was magic until Dream Elite folded & their servers went down so no DTT driver downloads, I switched to a DreamboxUK image which restored DTT tuner support but saorview signal tends to break up a lot,.........anyway I'll give the 800 a decent burial :sad:

You can install the DTT drivers manually on Dream Elite Phoenix,I found they worked best that way.
Saorview signal strength was a bit of an issue for me on the Dm800 using a usb tuner allright,I guess the tuner sensitivity wasnt the best.
Sab is much better for Saorview ,no such signal issues.

hi guys im new to this site and trying to find my way around but i was wondering if ye could help me. Im thinking of buying a Sab unix and i was wondering if there a good investment. Im not too good with technology though and i dont understand when you talk about what images are loaded ? Also is there a simple way to set up cccam on these receivers as in download a file to a usb key and upload it to stb. Im not sure if im posting this to the correct thread but from what ive read the Sab Unix is more or less the same receiver etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated and i thank you in advance

Back