Jumper Settings

Mr_Jailer

Inactive User
Reaction score
I’m having fun trying to get my jumper settings to work correctly.

The following is what the motherboard manual says:

FRONT PANEL JUMPER:

HD+ 1—2 MSG+
HD- 3—4 MSG-
RES- 5—6 PWR+
RES+ 7—8 PWR-
NC 9—10
11—12
13—14 SPEAK+
15—16
17—18
19—20 SPEAK-

The options to choose are:

1. PowerSW (2 joined Jumpers)
2. HDD Light (2 joined Jumpers)
3. RESETSWSW (2 joined Jumpers)

Q: Where do these connect to and how can you tell which is jumper is + and which is - ?

POWER LED:

MPD+ 1
MPD- 2
MPD- 3

The options are:

1. –PLED (Single Jumpers)
2. +PLED (Single Jumpers)

FRONT AUDIO:

MIC 1—2 GND
MicBias 3—4 PWR
Front Audio (R) 5—6 Rear Audio (R) / Return R
NC 7—8 No Pin
Front Audio (L) 9—10 Rear Audio (L) / Return L

The Jumpers to choose are:

1. L-RET
2. R-RET
3. L-OUT
4. R-OUT
5. Ground

And:

1. MIC_POWER
2. MIN_IN
3. Ground

FRONT USB 1 / 2

Power 1—2 Power
USB DX- 3—4 USB Dy-
USB DX+ 5—6 USB Dy+
GND 7—8 GND
No Pin 9—10 NC

Jumpers to Choose are:

1. VCC1 (Jumpers 1,2, and 3 are joined as one jumper)
2. USB1-
3. USB1+
4. Ground

Hope all this makes sense.

What is your question m8?

It wont damage your PC if you connect these the wrong way round, you will just find that a LED wont come on or the HDD is lit constantly instead of flashing as per activity.

Once you have worked out the LED +/- you can kinda tell which one is the +/- on all the rest.

I’m having fun trying to get my jumper settings to work correctly.

The following is what the motherboard manual says:

FRONT PANEL JUMPER:

HD+ 1—2 MSG+
HD- 3—4 MSG-
RES- 5—6 PWR+
RES+ 7—8 PWR-
NC 9—10
11—12
13—14 SPEAK+
15—16
17—18
19—20 SPEAK-

The options to choose are:

1. PowerSW (2 joined Jumpers)
2. HDD Light (2 joined Jumpers)
3. RESETSWSW (2 joined Jumpers)

Q: Where do these connect to and how can you tell which is jumper is + and which is - ?

Generally either the + or the - wires will all be the same colour (often white, but black is not uncommon), so look at the PLED wires and compare to the rest.

1. PowerSW to bridge PWR+ and PWR-
2. HDD Light to bridge HD+ and HD-
3. RESETSWSW to bridge RES- and RES+

POWER LED:

MPD+ 1
MPD- 2
MPD- 3

The options are:

1. –PLED (Single Jumpers)
2. +PLED (Single Jumpers)

+PLED will go to MPD+
-PLED should be able to connect to either of the MPD- pins.

FRONT AUDIO:

MIC 1—2 GND
MicBias 3—4 PWR
Front Audio (R) 5—6 Rear Audio (R) / Return R
NC 7—8 No Pin
Front Audio (L) 9—10 Rear Audio (L) / Return L

The Jumpers to choose are:

1. L-RET
2. R-RET
3. L-OUT
4. R-OUT
5. Ground

And:

1. MIC_POWER
2. MIN_IN
3. Ground

MIC_POWER to MicBias (-this is assumed as motherboard and case not given)
Ground to GND
MIN_IN to MIC
L-RET to Return L
R-RET to Return R
L-OUT to Front Audio (L)
R-OUT to Front Audio (R)

FRONT USB 1 / 2

Power 1—2 Power
USB DX- 3—4 USB Dy-
USB DX+ 5—6 USB Dy+
GND 7—8 GND
No Pin 9—10 NC

Jumpers to Choose are:

1. VCC1 (Jumpers 1,2, and 3 are joined as one jumper)
2. USB1-
3. USB1+
4. Ground

Hope all this makes sense.

The 3 pin jumper should bridge pins 1, 3 and 5.
Ground to pin 7 (GND)

If you've also got a VCC2 that would bridge pins 2, 4 and 6, with Ground to pin 8.

Last edited:
The 3 pin jumper should bridge pins 1, 3 and 5.
Ground to pin 7 (GND)

If you've also got a VCC2 that would bridge pins 2, 4 and 6, with Ground to pin 8.

Thanks for the effort.

I have a VCC2, but I also have a second connector on the motherboard that looks like:

Power 1—2 Power
USB DX- 3—4 USB Dy-
USB DX+ 5—6 USB Dy+
GND 7—8 GND
No Pin 9—10 NC

I was thinking that VCC2 was for Front USB 2?

Thinking about it now, my MB can take up to 4 usb ports, but my case allows only 2. In this case the VCC1 and VCC2 connectors could be attached to one port, the other remaining free... I'll try your advice nevertheless, maybe you're right.

You also made the assumption: "MIC_POWER to MicBias (-this is assumed as motherboard and case not given)" - wouldn't MIC_POWER go to POWER than MIC_BIOS?

You also made the assumption: "MIC_POWER to MicBias (-this is assumed as motherboard and case not given)" - wouldn't MIC_POWER go to POWER than MIC_BIOS?
Entirely possible, as I only did a quick google.

To be honest, unless you are going to use the front auido connections I wouldn't bother hooking them up (I never do as I've got a seperate sound card and just jack into that at the back of the PC).

I have one small problem.

First off, my PC was working all fine, but was slowing down / crashing.

I opened it up and did some maintenance work on it - (opened it up and vaccummed inside to get rid of dust).

When I started it up, the PSU and CPU fan came on briefly and then stopped.

I pulled everything apart and one by one added the components including jumper settings.

The problem is that when I attach the hard drives, I'm not getting anything on the display. The monitor light turns green, but after a short while it turns orange.

The HDD get hot, so I know they're working.

I can not get to see the BIOS screen to identify whether the BIOS detects the HDD or not.

If the monitor light turned green when the PC was switched on, I believe the problem is not with the agp graphics card.

The other points to mention are that I had 3 x DDR sticks, 1 = 1gb, 1 = 512MB and 1 = 256MB. When I put the PC back together I am only using the 1GB stick.

What are the chances that the problem is with the cpu? I did mention that I was cleaning the MB with a vaccuum. I unscrewed the heatsink and tried to detach it from the CPU. However I exerted a little too much force because the cpu was stuck to the heatsink and the cpu came out without the raising of the lever.

Could this be the problem?

I have one small problem.

First off, my PC was working all fine, but was slowing down / crashing.

I opened it up and did some maintenance work on it - (opened it up and vaccummed inside to get rid of dust).

When I started it up, the PSU and CPU fan came on briefly and then stopped.

I pulled everything apart and one by one added the components including jumper settings.

The problem is that when I attach the hard drives, I'm not getting anything on the display. The monitor light turns green, but after a short while it turns orange.

The HDD get hot, so I know they're working.

I can not get to see the BIOS screen to identify whether the BIOS detects the HDD or not.

If the monitor light turned green when the PC was switched on, I believe the problem is not with the agp graphics card.

The other points to mention are that I had 3 x DDR sticks, 1 = 1gb, 1 = 512MB and 1 = 256MB. When I put the PC back together I am only using the 1GB stick.

What are the chances that the problem is with the cpu? I did mention that I was cleaning the MB with a vaccuum. I unscrewed the heatsink and tried to detach it from the CPU. However I exerted a little too much force because the cpu was stuck to the heatsink and the cpu came out without the raising of the lever.

Could this be the problem?

Sounds like you killed the CPU socket part of the mobo. Are all the pins still attached to the CPU? Are they all straight?

Yikes!

Yes, all cpu pins are straight and present.

When I power on the computer, the green (power) light is on solid (which is standard), but unusually, the HDD orange light is solid too. The Hard drives were in working order... I don't think there's anything wrong with them.

When I tried i tried it 15 minutes ago, the TFT monitor light did not turn green and stayed orange?

Yes, all cpu pins are straight and present.

When I power on the computer, the green (power) light is on solid (which is standard), but unusually, the HDD orange light is solid too. The Hard drives were in working order... I don't think there's anything wrong with them.

When I tried i tried it 15 minutes ago, the TFT monitor light did not turn green and stayed orange?

The solid HDD light could be due to the HDD LED connecter the wrong way round, try turn it round. Does this make the HDD LED non-solid?

No, it was solid no light. Changed it back, got solid Light again.

I noticed that there appears not to be any light coming on the hard drives. The hard drives don't appear to be spinning up either. They're not getting hot.

Both hard drives are connected to IDE channel 1. On IDE channel 2, the DVD-writer is connected.

However, the DVD-writer does respond when I push the button to release the tray.

Tell a lie, the hard drives did warm up. This means power is getting through.

I also swapped the channels, still no joy.

I also changed the AGP card, no joy.

Last possible thing to try could be the memory. I was using 3 sticks, but testing with only 2. Need to get the other stick and try and remember in which slots they reside.

Sounds like you killed the CPU socket part of the mobo. Are all the pins still attached to the CPU? Are they all straight?

Yikes!

Seemed the problem was with the CPU.

I got it from dabs 2 years ago, still had the invoice in my email account, got an RMA from AMD, sent it back, they sent a replacement... voila... a working PC :D

Btw... the CPU has a 3 year limited warranty.

Back