jailbreaking apple tv 2

BIG-HOL

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
hello chaps, iv found an apple tv2 for cheap from a friend, hes unsure of firmware at the minute as hes out at present, but what im wondering is can any firmware be jailbroken on this device as he says its upto date as of a month ago, or have they put a block on the latest firmwares, which would render it useless for me if so, i will post exact firmware once he gets back but any advice in the meantime would be great!

Best thing to do, if its less the 5.1 is search for atv2 black from firecore. It comes with season pass to jail break then install the atv2 black sw.

Sent from the "Curious Rover"

thanks mate ill have a look, do you know what the latest firmware is for these devices then and if it can be jailbroken on latest firmware!

latest is 6.01 and no it can't be jail broken :( if its still on 5.xx then its all good..

I aint using mine so tempted to stick it on ebay to see what it goes for lol

cheers zad, hopefully its not been updated to that then, he thinks its on 5. something but doesnt know for sure till hes home, so ill confirm firmware once he gets back to me!

5.1(5201) is the firmware, i guess thats ok to jailbreak then, absolutely clueless with these, any help greatful!

As MH as said firecore and season pass, are the way to go. Obviously you can find the relevant files in the usual places also, no need to fork out.

right guys iv jailbroken the device and installed xbmc, how do i go about installing navi x, nitotv and any other goodies you might use, iv tried following a tut for nitotv but it doesnt seem to work anymore, im getting an error in putty which says

deb is not known in line 1 of source or something like that, any ideas!

right guys iv jailbroken the device and installed xbmc, how do i go about installing navi x, nitotv and any other goodies you might use, iv tried following a tut for nitotv but it doesnt seem to work anymore, im getting an error in putty which says

Hi Big Hol,

here is how to get sources on your ATV2:

Launch XBMC Software.
Navigate to “SYSTEM” and then open “File Manager.”
Select “Add Source” on the Left Side of the Screen.
Click on the text box that says <None> to open up the keyboard.
Type “http://fusion.xbmchub.com” (without quotations) on the keyboard and then choose the “Done” button on the left side of the keyboard.
You’ll now see the site address that you just typed at the top is listed, next click the empty text box at the bottom under “Enter a name for this media Source.”
You’ll now have a keyboard pop up, type “fusion” (without quotations) then press the “Done” button again.
press the “OK” button at the bottom in order to save the new file source.
From the Main Menu, choose “Settings” under the “SYSTEM” menu listing.
Choose the “Addons” menu from the left side of the window.
Select the “Install from zip file” option from the list.
Choose the “fusion” folder listed on the right side of the popup.
Browse through the Fusion folder and select whichever files you want to install, one by one, and they’ll be instantly available within your XBMC installation.
You’ll now need to click a “Get Add-ons” button.
Choose the repository that was just installed from the ZIP file.
Select the “Video Add-ons” option.
Click the name of the plugin you wish to enable
Choose “Install” on the left side to enable the selected video addon.

Hope that helps?

Hi Big Hol,

here is how to get sources on your ATV2:

Launch XBMC Software.
Navigate to “SYSTEM” and then open “File Manager.”
Select “Add Source” on the Left Side of the Screen.
Click on the text box that says <None> to open up the keyboard.
Type “http://fusion.xbmchub.com” (without quotations) on the keyboard and then choose the “Done” button on the left side of the keyboard.
You’ll now see the site address that you just typed at the top is listed, next click the empty text box at the bottom under “Enter a name for this media Source.”
You’ll now have a keyboard pop up, type “fusion” (without quotations) then press the “Done” button again.
press the “OK” button at the bottom in order to save the new file source.
From the Main Menu, choose “Settings” under the “SYSTEM” menu listing.
Choose the “Addons” menu from the left side of the window.
Select the “Install from zip file” option from the list.
Choose the “fusion” folder listed on the right side of the popup.
Browse through the Fusion folder and select whichever files you want to install, one by one, and they’ll be instantly available within your XBMC installation.
You’ll now need to click a “Get Add-ons” button.
Choose the repository that was just installed from the ZIP file.
Select the “Video Add-ons” option.
Click the name of the plugin you wish to enable
Choose “Install” on the left side to enable the selected video addon.

Hope that helps?
cheers buddy, just got in from work so ill give this a bash 2moro at some point and let ya know how i get on, thanks!

i jailbroke it, installed xbmc and navi x, realised i didnt like it, sold it on ebay for twice what i paid, lol ;)

i'm looking forward to the day the ATV3 gets jailbroken! so the ATV2 can get some reasonable pricing again:=)

How did you jailbreak 5.1? I've done every other version but this one says "not eligible"

How did you jailbreak 5.1? I've done every other version but this one says "not eligible"

If you use the search function, or actually browse the sub-forum for AppleTV you will find what you need.

(P.S. No need to post "Thanks")

I've searched to no avail. No help getting over the 5.1 (5201) "not eligible" hump and I don't know what the "sub forum" is, but I appreciate your prompt response.

5.1 is iOS 6.0, 5.2 is iOS 6.1

Apple TV

It's most likely you have settings still your host file, but like I said everything you need is in this forum. Read through, upgrade if necessary and try again.

Back