ISP dns address

eyesofadj

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi

Where do you find these?

I have looked at previous posts for wirless networking problems (Signal strength : good, Status : no connectivity) and followed tips on how to use your own IP address (windows was automatically assigning mine).

My wireless routers address is 192.168.0.1, therefore my card shoild be 192.168.0.2 and my default gateway is 192.168.0.1, is this correct?

If I find out my ISP dns address I will enter in preferred/alternate DNS server addresses.

Would having zone alarm or avast antivirus running affect connection?

your default gateway etc are correct.. but it problably isn't needed to setup and alternate DNS.. if you open a web browser and put in the address of the router i.e 192.168.0.1 you will be able to connect to the router

you will need the login details for it normally it is something like User: admin pass: password

in the menu option something like router status should show your IP address and the DNS server of your ISP.:)

Tried going into Router config, could not see anything to do with DNS apart from a heading 'Dynamic DNS'.
It is a itecom broadband router I am using.

Is it the actual ip that the isp assign to you that you're looking for?

If you open a command prompt and type ipconfig /all it should be in there somewhere!

EDIT: Sorry just read this again....forget the above!

Last edited:
Is your pc IP stack set to DCHP? also is your router a DHCP server? is it enabled? If yes to all of the above your dns should be the same address as your router i.e. 192.168.0.1 this is fine your router will pass any DNS requests to the address it was served by your ISP and then forward the answer back to yore pc.
Try ipconfig /all as suggested by Devilfish and see what it says.

Is your pc IP stack set to DCHP? Not sure about how to check this?

Also is your router a DHCP server? I think so

Is it enabled? Yes

It looks like you are using a static address (not DHCP) if this is the case use the IP address of your router as the DNS server IP address and you should be fine. If you really need the actual address, you should be able to find it on the ISP's help pages.

You dont need to enter anything in for DNS when setting your PC to go through a router (unless you are running a server on your network). Your ISP deals with DNS. Your router forwards any traffic that requires WAN access through the modem and keeps all other traffic local

My modem is connected to my wireless router.
I switch my pc on and type ‘ipconfig/all’

Windows IP config has –

My host name
Primary dns – nothing
Node type – hybrid
IP routing enabled – no
Wins proxy enabled - no

Wireless adapter – DHCP enabled – yes
Auto config enabled - yes
Autoconfig – 169.254.188.123
Subnet mask – 255.255.0.0
Default gateway – nothing

Loc. Area conn. - DHCP enabled – yes
Autoconfig – 169.254.188.123
Default gateway – nothing

When I take connection from my router and connect to pc I have to repair network connection for it to operate. The details I get now from ‘ipconfig/all’ are all same apart from –

Loc. Area conn. - DHCP enabled – yes
IP address – 82.4*.4*.15
Default gateway – 82.*0.*0.1
DHCP server –62.3*.1*2.1**
DNS servers -62.31.6*.39
62.31.1*2.39
62.31.1*4.39
Used stars for digits as not sure if I should be showing all nfo.

If this makes any sense to anyone, PLEASE let me know. I’ve not eaten for days trying to sort this!

1. The IP of the Wireless NIC is 169.254.188.123. As per your first post set it to 192.168.0.2

2. You do not have the default gateway set up. Set it to 192.168.0.1

3. Change you subnet mask to 255.255.255.0

Back