Is this pretty dear?

Gavvodka

Inactive User
Reaction score
just got a credit meter for my electricity, where im getting charged £85 p/m for a small 1 bedroom house.

feel as if i'm gettin ripped off here, maybe i'm paying for my neighbours aswell.

what price on average do u guys pay p/m?

Gavvodka said:
just got a credit meter for my electricity, where im getting charged £85 p/m for a small 1 bedroom house.

feel as if i'm gettin ripped off here, maybe i'm paying for my neighbours aswell.

what price on average do u guys pay p/m?

Cor i'd say. That works out on average approx £2.83 per day (based on 30 days) You say 'you just got a credit meter for my electricity' not too sure what you mean by this, but still, i'd say thats quite high. Take a meter reading and phone electric board with it and ask them for another bill based on these reading. I presume your on monthly billing, if so a lot of the bills are mainly estimated, in which case you could be due for a refund. Just a few things perhaps to take into consideration:
(1) Did you previously have an o/s bill that you were paying off each month or something like this.
(2) Are you a budget scheme, where as you pay the same amount each month throughout the year. which normally balances it's self out at the end of the year.
(3) Are you a newly tenant. The meter may have had the charge rate turned up as the previous tenant may have o/s debits on it.
(4) What type of heating are you running....electric fires...etc
(5) Is your emersion heater on Permanently?

If the answer is no to all of these, then I'd say your being ripped of mate. Phone then and ask then to come and check out the meter etc...you never know, someone else may be running of your lecky. I know someone that used to do that. They run their garage electric off the neighbours as it was easier access to theirs or something. They done this years. Although i must say. It was only a garage light, but goes to show it's possible.

Hope this helps. :BLOBBY:

sounds well expensive, do you owe then a previous bill if so thats probably why, seems a bit high tho get em to check meter settings

I have a card meter my average weekly payment is between £5 and £8 depending on if i do washing and drying.

just had this meter in last jan, so this is the 1st month having it, i use a oil heater during the day for when i come in and its cold, but other than that its just the norm, tv,washin mahine etc.

im on a 2 phase, goes cheap at 23:00 hrs. im gonna ask them to check out the meter i think.

gonna start using the storage heater at 23:00 i think nd get rid of the oil and see how that goes.

I had a power card meter before for about a year and the guy told me it was undercharging me, and i owe then £184 for the undercharging, but that got waved because it was thier fault they never updated the new rates.

gfriends mum pays like 45 p/m and her house is twice as big with heaters on constantly.

I'd defo get them to check it out, or even get a key meter fitted, perhaps eben consider changing your supplier mate. As for the storage heaters if i'm correct, they come on at night and stores the heat so during the day it's off, but letting out the heat that it has stored. This is ok if your home allday to benefit from it, if not u may aswell put a fire on timer to come on an hour before you get home like. They still use a bit od electric though, as being anything that makes heat uses more electric than a normal appliances.

Get onto them mate with guns blazing. : gun :

i would get them to check it mate, i used to have a credit meter, ie put cards in before you can use electricity, I live in a 1 bed flat with all electric heating and cooking with even an electric water tank and pay around £35 a month.

If you are paying off a bill they would take some of each payment to pay this off but i would defo get it checked out sounds well dodgy to me.

Hope this helps

Belgy

That sounds a bit dogy to me mate, i have an electric meter and i use 1-2 power cards a week depending works out roughly£25-£35 mnth depending and i have a gas meter seperatly for my gas.

4 bed house at uni used to cost about £5 per week, that included storage heaters (on economy 7 rating), fridge freezer, eleccy shower, washing machine, electric cooker, 4 TVs, a few video/dvd players and at least 1 console.

Avoid using the oil heater for now, if that doesn't help defo get the eleccy board out to test the meter.

u need to get on the phone rite away mate that is not normall. i lived in a 1 bedroom flat myself for about 3 years and i was averging out at about £30 per month: shocked2

Ouch, that's far too much. I pay much less for a 4 bed house, mind you the wife hates sitting about in the cold and dark!

I agree, thats' way too expensive, I have a 3 bedroom house with 8 pc's all on constantly, and 2 tv's on alot of the time, I use the washer alot, but no tumble dryer and no electric fires (unless it freezing and can't wait for the gas heating to kick in), it is a card meter and I rarely have to put more than £10 per week on.

like troopy, i have a 3 bedroom house, with 2 pc's (not as rich as troopy) on 24 hrs, tv on 12hrs+, dvd player in every room, 2 hi-fi's, fridge, freezer, cooker, microwave, washing machine, used every other day, she leaves all lights on 28hrs lol, lights in garden, driveway lights.

and i pay £30 - £35 month on the card.

yeah, oil heaters gettin turned off for the mo, and getting on the phone tomoro to sort it out.. cheers for the relply's.

mate works for scottish power and hes sayin its far to much. see what they have to say tomoro.

Cheers.

why do i always get women to speak about this?

she's saying there is nothing wrong with the meter, and do a seven day meter reading test, to see if it jumps. (but obviously it wont).

she doesnt understand that i think the meter could be recording double the amount of electricity that i'm actually using.

she just keeps saying that the meters fine. what a muppet she is.

turn everything off in the house and see if the meter records any usage, but again it prob wont, because i think its recording more than i'm using.

Tearing ma hair out here trying to get through to these daft folk. : tosser :

just noticed a swith that connects to my immersion heater thats been on since ive moved in here, but we dont use that for heating water, its a swith downstairs. i'll turn that off and see if the rates calm down a bit.

Last edited:
she's probley blonde, phone the company back and this time DEMAND that someone comes out to check the meter. The KWH thingy thing may be set to high. Perhaps ask a neighbourhow much they use. Not sure of the type of meter that u have, but check the wheel / flashing light to see how fast this turning/flashing. You also mentioned before about an o/s debt that was binned due to their error, make sure this has been truly binned and not added on. If they still refuse to look into it, tell them you will take the matter further.

shes phoning me back at 12.45 to see how much its moved by.

she said she found the problem and my rate 1 (day rate) and rate 2 (night rate) was mixed up, and the rate 1 is night and rate 2 is day.

which is a lot of shite, because when on day rate the screen shows rate 1, and at 23:00 the screen shows rate 2.

also its rate 1 thats moving at the moment,so dont know how she can back that 1 up.

said i wan expecting to pay 45 at the very most, then she said 'ok then we'll take to 45 and see how we go from there' but wtf is the point in doing that if theres a problem somewhere.

see what she says when (if) she phones.

Gavvodka said:
said i wan expecting to pay 45 at the very most, then she said 'ok then we'll take to 45 and see how we go from there' but wtf is the point in doing that if theres a problem somewhere.

see what she says when (if) she phones.

45 quid........I thought you said u have a one bedroom house........lol

yeah, lol

shes looking into it and shes gonna phone me tomoro morning. see what she says then.

what a pain in the ass this power nonsence.

Back