Is this normal? Laminate/Wood Flooring

Hi Mate,

I`v done many a stairs in my time and they are a complete pig but you gotta take your time with it, by looks of that the guy obviously hasn`t layed laminate on stairs before or does not have a clue about how you treat a finished product...Nail through the face wise up!!.

He should of been using something like this hxxp://www.nationalstairnosings.co.uk/Adjustable-Step-Nosings-Laminate-Flooring/dp/B007P1TXZA?traffic_src=froogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_source=froogle

Which allows for movement and this nosing are clipped in.

With laminate flooring depending on the make the manufacturer states there has to be a allocation for expansion .

Now how is the flooring going to be able to move if he has just gone mental with a paslode!!

Thanks. I was thinking about this as the floors contract and expand anyway so why nail it! I had a quote from another guy previous and he was £100 more hence whey we went with these as well as it was based on the recommendation but, during the "sales pitch" i mentioned this and the fact we were looking at quickstep, which has the incizor system and is essentially the same as above, so again i was a little put off when i saw the thickness of the noses, however it didn't look half bad anyway just the finish so never mentioned it.

We actually picked quickstep flooring but came back and said they couldn't source the noses but they had one identical (they even wanted to agree to the colour match over the phone)

The point however is that what they have put on seems to fit over the edge and doesn't sit flush or is screwed under the tread.

The excuse the constantly come back to is that they had to pack it out and it will move and everything will be uneven. Don't know how many times I've said it had engineering ply laid down so there was no need whatsoever to nail risers or treads.

He came out this morning and basically said, don't worry will all be sorted even if we have to rip it up, joiner/fitter comes back out with one pack of flooring. Missus phones me but had someone with me and couldn't take the call, but he was essentially giving her hassle over it and going back to all the same things about levels etc and he needs to nail it and shouldn't have to ask if he can. Then he left and said it will be after Christmas now.

Exos,

So this uneaven floor levels is there excuse for them nailing not only a finished prouduct but one of my Favourite makes of flooring Quickstep! in my eyes the easiest and best click system about.

Surely they put underlay down if so what type dont say the polystyrene crap?

Sorry mustn't have explained it well, what they have actually put down is Sensa Soldio Elite V, we originally picked quickstep, but they told us they couldn't get hold of the noses (which i didn't really believe, and thought it was more likely they realised they had priced the job wrong)

But yes basically that's their excuse, which unfortunately doesn't fly for the reasons I said (engineering ply, bonded then screwed to each tread to level them out stop squeeking etc)

They actually put foam underlay boards down, which is better than the foam roll crap I've used before (cheapskate me sometimes ;) )

i wouldn't pay him untill he has fixed those error if thats the correct word its just a poor job, and what he is charging you you want a top notch job.

Back