bad bad bad workmanship

Goldberg

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
So... 3 1/2 years ago we moved into our house.
It is a 100 year old Victorian Terrace with all the quirks and issues you expect.

I spent a whole summer painting all of the rooms, laying new flooring etc.. I am a big fan of white so everything is... White! Makes it easier to maintain.

The wife has got bored of the front room, want's it more homely.
As we have a 2 year old she felt the need to get a bloke in to paint the front room and build some shelves into one of the alcoves of the chimney breast (one already has some), and put some cupboards below.

I was not very happy about the bloke coming in, pride is at stake here.. Anyhow TWO WEEKS on and the bloke has only really just finished painting... BADLY might I add. He painted over plaster that needed filling in. He has not filled cracks and screw holes etc...

As this is the wifes project I made her tell him. He has not covered the carpet or furniture in that room and has used our coffee table to cut wood on!

So two weeks on and we have badly painted walls and one shelf up. We got a message saying sorry for the delay but the shelves have been difficult... nothing is level.... What he means is that the alcoves are not square. This is a 100 year old house! Of course they are not!

Here is an image of the said shelf.. It is obvious he measured from the inside of the alcove and not taken consideration the front. I have left him (another) stern note today to resolve this.

The rooms looks like a storage shed, the carpet is a mess and I am not sure we will be able to clean it up. The Sofa is pitted...

Fortunately we got a fixed price (for what he said was 1 weeks work). He is not getting a penny more and he is not getting the remaining money from us if he does not sort it all out!

If he has ruined the coffee table, carpet and sofa then he is getting nothing.

I am close to telling him to get lost! I could have done this job quicker and better.

The wife is upset and it is agreed that she will not be taking charge of a project again. He's undone all of my good work and **** knows how much this is going to cost to fix.

shelf.jpg

Cowboys everywhere I'm afraid, and that is something that is never going to change. I understand it was your wife's "project"- did this bloke come recommended or was it a random find in the local rag?

He did some work for a neighbour. Not recommended but we used to see him around so thought as he has spent a year there he must be ok.

Its bad..

He did some work for a neighbour. Not recommended but we used to see him around so thought as he has spent a year there he must be ok.

Its bad..

He's probably been there for a year fixing what he didn't do right in the first place. I see quite a lot of that here with aerial and satellite jobs. Amateurs do half a job- usually on the cheap using cheap materials, and keep coming back until one or other gets fed up.

Well he finally finished on Monday 14th!! 4/5 day job took nearly 3 weeks...

We never paid him a penny more and we have stuff we need to touch up.. I just wanted him out.

As for his work, it is just OK. Nothing I couldn't have done.

The wife has learnt a valuable lesson!

That's a cracking looking spirit level in chrome as well. Did he use it? or was it just an ornament he left there by mistake?. Do you have a picture of the finished job?.

Think it was just an ornament. At one stage I thought he was using the front room as a garage! The amount of tools.. I think he turned it into a workshop to get stuff ready for other jobs.

Using the coffee table as something to cut on, not covering the carpet...

I will get some other photo's up and then photo the issues I have.

@Goldberg

did you end up getting this sorted, I hoped you sacked the joiner :)

Last edited by a moderator:
We let him finish but his workmanship was terrible.
Took him nearly a month in the end! We never gave him a penny more..

Lesson learnt.

Back