is my dish off center ???

Magnu420

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
hi guys ive just done my first motorised sat dish install (took me about 4 months,but thats another story lol)
anyway got it on 0.8w thor bbc world news signal about 95,so ive done a scan ive got 6 sats on the eastside
and 3 sats on the westside
on the eastside they are
4.8e (55 services)
9e (44 services)
13e (634 services)
19e (417 services)
26e (76 services)
28e (333 services)

on the westside im gettin
0.8w (153 services)
5w (34 services)
and 30w (135 services)

in theory i should be gettin 42e to 42w (i got a good view) but im only gettin these sats,the pole and brackets
are plumb,so my theory that the dish is slightly off center to the east ???
can anyone confirm this
my set up consists of dm500s,97'' technomate mesh dish,tm2600 motor

tia...

if your dish is not 100% central on the motor spigot you wont track the arc properly you should be able to get from 45East to 30West no probs if no line of sight issues,dont know about 42W?and your dish size seems a bit on the large side.
is the signal strength on 28.2E good and strong?if your dish is easy to get to you can check its central with a pair of dividers from the casting line on the motor spigot to the same point either side of the bracket.if it is out it may be easier to take the lot down to sort it out.I usually centralise the dish bracket on the motor spigot with the actual dish itself removed(Iput that back once the motor is mounted on its pole.

i ment to say 97cm not inches lol
the signal on 28.2e is about 90 to 95,i did notice when the motor was on zero
that the dish went slightly to the east and not dead center,will get me verniers out
and check,i aint takin the dish down cos when i put the dish up i ended up crackin
some ribs and breaking my collar bone when a gust of wind caught the dish and blew me
off the ladders

did you peak your signal when aligning on 1 west? using say 6-8 different txp,s in high/low band h/v as bbc world is on a very stong txp which can be picked up with a 60-70cm dish. even though you were getting 95%sq from bbc world your your dish could still be slightly out and this is why you could be getting small numbers of channels on certain sats and are not picking up some of the weaker satellites.. of course i am probably wrong but just take your time and check each possible problem point untill its found. regards mdt

Last edited:
theres a line down the center of the pole on the motor, the LNB arm has to be dead in line with this line on the motor, its normally easier to see this looking down on the motor pole form behind and above

I usually take a measurement from the bracket that holds the dish to a point on the motor bracket, I use the pivot point where you bolt the motor to it's bracket. By lining up both sides it takes the guesswork out of being central or not!

thanks for your input guys

@ dickb yeah de ja vue ;)

ive come across this which helps me a lot also it might help other membersarcadjustjp.jpg

That picture makes it all really clear. Thanks Magnu. Also, mdt, yes I try to use the weaker signals for lining up so after I've found 1W with BBC News then DDTV for fine tuning. BTV-1 is fun - for about three loops. m.

Back