Hardware Is LCD faulty or other part?

lpjp

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hello, here's one that has me puzzled.

A laptop I've received has a LCD issue where the screen lights up but I get no images!

If I plug in an external monitor I can see everything so I've concluded that the onboard graphics capabilities are OK.

I am toying with idea that its either the LCD screen itself, the inverter or the cable that connects to MOBO.

Is there any advice from you guys to try and troubleshoot this problem?

Think the first thing to do is as you've mentioned, open it up and check the cables. Hopefully it is just something that has come loose.
Think the inverter would make the screen dim or anytime i've had faulty inverters the sceen always goes dim.
Has it been working ok and just gone like this or is this a new installation of the operating system?
When you say light ups is it a white screen? Do you see the BIOS or is light/white as soon as you turn it on?

If the screen lights up but there is no image the Inverter is OK, If screen out Ok then it will most likely be a T-con fault which is built into the screen, pcb along the top of the back of the screen usually, can be bottom, peel the plastic back and look for a small smd fuse, If it's open replacing it will normally cure the fault, If not or it blows again needs some one who knows what they are doing or a new screen, gets a little more technical than that, check there is a supply to one end of the smd fuse, if not a motherboard fault.

Hello.

There is definitely light coming from the screen but it is very dim. I sometimes see a very light image on the screen but it is barely visible.

All cables are in solid, I took out and re-inserted and same problem. The screen just went the other day, switched on after turning off the night before and it was as described.

If the screen is dark with a faint back light, and you can see a dim image of what you see on the external monitor, it will most likely be the inverter.

Back