iPlayer/Other on-demand servies on 360!

ruddyrum

Inactive User
Reaction score
Am looking into playing as much media as possible on my 360, as i am moving into a new house, and i'm not allowed to mount my sat dish on the house, and im not paying virgin media for tv, as i still have a sky sub...

so, Sky player on my 360 works fine, but i would like bbc iplayer, itv, 4od etc to work. I have downloaded many a plugin for my win 7 media centre, and can watch that fine on my PC with 'TunerFree' by millisoft, however when trying to watch anything on the 360, it wont play, and just says "extender mode"

I know i can download iplayer files and play them by doing the following:

- Download the BBC IPlayer Download manager

- Select the programme and download

- Go to the settings in the download manager and copy the location that the downloads are stored, something like: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Videos\My Deliveries\iplayer_live

- Go to WMP and Add to Library > Add

- Paste above location which should be added

- Go to videos on 360 and the iplayer_live should show and will contain your downloaded videos, all in WMV format :)

However I want to be able to stream if at all possible, and preferably through media centre... That being said, beggars cant be choosers, so anyway of playing on demand services through my xbox would be great!!!

iplayer is very unlikely to be on the 360.

BBC insist it has to be completely free (like on the wii and PS3) and M$ insist it can only be available for xbox live gold members. So BBC told M$ to go feck themselves.

that and licensing issues will probably keep 4OD etc off the 360 as well. Bit like were unlikely to see netflix in the UK.

As for streaming there's PS3 media center, that works with the 360. theres some post on here which will fill you in if you can get the search function to work.

As for streaming there's PS3 media center, that works with the 360. theres some post on here which will fill you in if you can get the search function to work.

Thanks, but perhaps you misunderstood!! I can already stream videos and movies via transcode360... what i meant by "streaming" was being able to stream on demand TV like iplayer on to the xbox, as i currently have to download each individual program i want to watch via bbc download manager/tuner free to be able to watch iplayer on my xbox... i mean it works, but i dont always want to have to wait for the download to finish before i watch it on my 360!

I know there is no straight forward way to stream it on the xbox, but if i can already play iplayer media centre on my PC, surely there must be an easy registry hack or similar to allow me to watch these on the xbox aswell!?

Last edited:
The only way you can do what you want to do at the moment, is to use a windows vista media centre and use your 360 as the extender, you will find if you google a plugin for windows media centre called MCE browser, which will allow you to browse the web from your xbox when using the extender. It should work with iplayer without any problems but like I say you will need a windows vista PC running media centre, MCE browser will not work with windows 7 btw.
HOpe this helps

Back