iPhone iPhone Lost/Stolen & Jailbreak Success Story.

Exos

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Had a bit of a roller coaster evening today....

Have been working in Manc land and was on my way back home when my missus must have rang me about 10-15 times repeatedly (I was already on the phone talking to a work colleague), anyway to cut a long story short she calls me in hysterics because my daughter had lost her iPhone on the bus as she was going into Liverpool town center....typical woman over exaggeration and making absolutely no sense when your trying to get some real detail out of her.

Luckily she remembered that I was able to track my daughters iPhone, now this isn't the stupid rubbish apple offering as I tried to use it, and of course its inability to accurately pinpoint the location and lack of features meant that I may as well of just kissed the phone goodbye, so i use iLocalis, which can only be run on a Jailbroken phone, and it also offers a significant amount of additional features.

After several screaming sessions and a lesson on how to use a browser (god it can be so frustrating with complete technophobes) and at the same time me trying to drive at 80 through 50Mph roadworks, with some Muppet afterwards sitting in the outside lane doing 60 (FFS people outside lane....60Mph....please learn to find the accelerator pedal) I manage to get her onto the website. Then a further level of frustration trying to talk her through the options and what to do, without success which by that time I was about 15 minutes away from home....

Gets in, fires up the web app, finds out that the phone had been turned off at x time at the bus station, also got a picture of the little shit that had it (on failed unlocks it will take a pic on a camera). Also set the update to real time, sent a message to it so when it was turned on it would pop up and set the phone to lock (just a black screen which renders it useless)

Anyway, 19:20, the phone pops up at a house in Liverpool, now it turns up in an area that I would say, is probably not one of the best for community spirit or its social friendly way, in fact there are some quite low down characters, so next thing is that after about 5 minutes of watching the phone not move, it was quite obviously switched off again (you can set the phone so that they can't power it down, but you can circumvent this if you try to put it in DFU mode). I thought it best given the fact her inability to navigate a browser I stayed and she went along with a friend, just in case the phone moved etc, which in hindsight was probably a bad idea (and not just a woman thing)

Missus takes the picture, find the house and again in typical over aggravated woman style knocks at the door and demands that the woman tells her who the picture is of, without any explanation. Now naturally as I would do, you would tell someone to piss off and close the door....which she did, and then wouldn't answer. I gets a call with her shouting off about getting the police and that she had spoken to some drug dealer next door who was like, i don't care if i have to get the phone myself I don't want the police here (for natural reasons).

So, goes up there myself and in between me leaving, getting a myriad of "hurry up calls as the area is dodgy" I finally get's there, knocks several times before she answers, explains the situation and the woman calls her son. I even took printout's from Google maps highlighting her house and the iLocalis logs to show the road, and 10m range of where the phone was, last location etc etc. The son apparently in her conversation with him acts decidedly shady and she tells him to get home (hes about 17-18)

10 minutes later he turns up. The missus after me telling her once already to go sit in the car with her sister, shoves the picture in the lads facing shouting "do you know him eh" (My immediate thought was Jesus love calm down, but I let it slide),

Explains, that I'm not arsed about the wheres and why for and says I just want it back, he replies with "yep, its a mate from college" and I have the phone upstairs....

He comes back down, passes the phone back minus the case, with a scratch across the front, apologizes, says he's feels bad and that he kinda thought "finders keepers etc". Told him not to worry, left with phone in hand.

Gets it home and it looks like he placed in in DFU mode as he couldn't get in. Kicks it out and the phone is disabled (60 min i think), but finally manages to login.

So the story is, F*** you apple for you condescending self righteous attitude to all things open source and you're blatant lack of support for developers outside your circle of trust, but thank you to Cydia Jailbreaking, and iLocalis.

Last edited:
A good read mate with a good outcome. I shall certainly be looking into installing that app on my phone now :)

nice 1 mate, glad ya got it back anyway!

A good ending. I totally agree with you with regards to using 3rd party apps after jailbreaking. I'm definitely going to download that app.

Well done.

How much is ilocalis these days?
I paid for it when I first got my 3GS but have since let it lapse, especially now I'm on a tethered jb.

I like the way that he's a "little shit" for finding the phone. What could he do to get the phone back to you? He can't get into it to find a number to ring or find any details of the owner who lost such an expensive item. Granted, he could've given it to the police who would probably bung it in a box somewhere waiting for the owner to contact them to report a missing phone. Luckily for you he didn't do that and he did exactly what you needed him to do :tongue:

A positive outcome for you but a load of grief for his mate and his mates mother just for having the audacity to pick up a lost phone.

and at the same time me trying to drive at 80 through 50Mph roadworks, with some Muppet afterwards sitting in the outside lane doing 60 (FFS people outside lane....60Mph....please learn to find the accelerator pedal)

Really? It's fine to do 30mph above the speed limit but sitting at 60mph in the outside lane in so bad?

Great read Exos, glad you got the phone back.

Does anyone know if iLocalis or similar is available for Androids?

I like the way that he's a "little shit" for finding the phone. What could he do to get the phone back to you? He can't get into it to find a number to ring or find any details of the owner who lost such an expensive item. Granted, he could've given it to the police who would probably bung it in a box somewhere waiting for the owner to contact them to report a missing phone. Luckily for you he didn't do that and he did exactly what you needed him to do :tongue:

In actual fact he had more than one opportunity to get it back.

First and foremost, prior to any of this my partner called the bus depot/exchange as she had lost it when she got off, and looking on the map that was the precise point it was picked up, so he could have actually handed it into the bus driver, now OK, there was nothing to say the driver didn't do the same, but to me its about honesty and morales. I've lost/dropped a phone before and actually had someone follow me in their car to hand it back because they saw it happen at a set of lights.

Secondly, the lad that found it and passed it to his mate to "mind" quite clearly knew the same because both of their pictures appeared several times afterwards on failed unlocks.

Thirdly as i already stated I set the update to real time, sent a message to it so when it was turned on it would pop up and set the phone to lock. The message provided him with my contact details, yet when we finally spoke to him he admitted he saw it and ignored it/them (twice), again back to honesty. Had he passed to anyone else it still wouldn't have stopped me getting it's location, so yes in a way he did do what i needed him to, but I could have quite easily done the same anywhere else. My only concern was that he didn't turn in on again and was wise enough to leave it in DFU mode and wipe it before it could report back.

Really? It's fine to do 30mph above the speed limit but sitting at 60mph in the outside lane in so bad?

You have a point, but to be fair, i probably didn't manage to get to 80mph in the roadworks for more than a few seconds as I sat idly at a frustrated 40 for most of the way, however equally as much that I could have been prosecuted doing 80+ in the national, he could have been prosecuted for doing 60 in the national in the outside lane, same goes for anyone doing 30-40 in the nearside lane. :)

@M3ENTAL: I use this on my android, but I have to be honest it isn't as good as iLocalis: https://www.mylookout.com/features/missing-device

There is also:

http://www.mobiledefense.com/

http://www.kaspersky.co.uk/kaspersky_mobile_security

http://www.trackdroid.org/simchecker.html

https://market.android.com/developer?pub=AllYourApps.net

http://phonelocatorpro.com/

http://www.appbrain.com/app/family-tracker/com.fibercode.familytracker

Last edited:

A positive outcome for you but a load of grief for his mate and his mates mother just for having the audacity to pick up a lost phone.

Bit OTT mate. It is pretty clear if you read the op carefully then you would see that the 2 lads in the story knew exactly what they were doing and were basically trying to get a "free" iphone. As for the speed issue well lets just say that's a matter of opinion & circumstances. The op was basically letting us know what happened and how this software has saved him (and maybe us in the future) the price of a new iphone.

Bit OTT mate. It is pretty clear if you read the op carefully then you would see that the 2 lads in the story knew exactly what they were doing and were basically trying to get a "free" iphone. As for the speed issue well lets just say that's a matter of opinion & circumstances. The op was basically letting us know what happened and how this software has saved him (and maybe us in the future) the price of a new iphone.

Not really OTT. If I lost an expensive phone then I would be a little shit for losing it. I suppose you could go down the theft by finding route but that's a different course.

The speed issue is not an matter of opinion and circumstances imho :tongue: It's a matter of the law and common sense and is there for a reason. No matter how many 50 zones you travel through on the motorway that have no people working on them there will be one that does have people working there. If you like I can drive over you at 50mph or maybe you'd prefer 70mph? It doesn't matter really because the important thing is I get home to find my clumsy daughters phone. Well worth it.

I'm glad the op got his phone back and this software is remarkable but come on, get a sense of perspective.

Last edited:
Huyton...

Nope, no dropsy he already lost that opportunity when he ignored the message offering a reward, but would have rather kept the phone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The speed issue is not an matter of opinion and circumstances imho :tongue: It's a matter of the law and common sense and is there for a reason. No matter how many 50 zones you travel through on the motorway that have no people working on them there will be one that does have people working there. If you like I can drive over you at 50mph or maybe you'd prefer 70mph? It doesn't matter really because the important thing is I get home to find my clumsy daughters phone. Well worth it..

I agree with you on the law / common sense etc but I've lost count of the number of times that I've driven through miles and miles of roadworks with a 40mph speed limit and I've not seen a soul. Sometimes (SOMETIMES) these motorway speed restrictions are just not warranted.

Fooking hell, we've went from a thread about a lost iPhone to motorway speeding. lol

Not really OTT. If I lost an expensive phone then I would be a little shit for losing it. I suppose you could go down the theft by finding route but that's a different course.

Taking out the speeding, no speeding, roadworks, cones, lights, odd lane structures, 40ft trailers, idiots that drive to slow, swerving, daily two an a half hour drives for a 25 minute journey, who was doing what, what's right about driving and what's wrong about it blah blah blah, then I think I've already stated and clarified what happened in reality and personally it's a) retracting from my initial point, b) simply creating contention for no reason and c) was to do nothing more than set a scene.

I'm sure if you want to discuss or raise it, a non directional thread in the rant room could be used ;)

I have however, just for you read up on a few things @ http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelA...ndroads/Breakdownsdrivingconditions/DG_185046 as well as handing in my licence for some points, donating £60 to the local police and arranged to retake my driving test. :)

That said trust me when I say my daughter knew exactly how annoyed I would be and what I would think. I found out today from some of her mates (and some other family friends) that she pretty much wept all the time she was in Liverpool town center, not because she lost it but because she knew what my exact reaction would be, equally she knew herself how stupid she had been with what she had done, and it probably wasn't really pertinent to note at the time of posting given I did it shortly after the events of the evening, but I would like to say though that she at least has a conscience and knows precisely right from wrong.

Last edited:
Back