iPhone iphone 5 cracked glass problem

silverdale

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
So my daughter drops and cracks the screen in a corner (still works ok) on her iphone 5, what's the best way to repair ?

Grab an original screen and kit to replace. Usually come with fitting kit.
YouTube for tutorials, really easy tbh.

Just make sure you get a decent screen coz the cheaper ones are horrid.

Ok thanks , any tips on were to buy a gen original screen ?

do you think these are genuine ? I know they say so but every person from China is also "My friend"

Bad Request

Last edited:
all sorted , replacement screen came with camera and home button already attached as I didn't want to be arsin around . Hardest part was the suction and getting the screen to lift enough to prise open.

I'd say took 1/2 tops , it's about time someone in design decided to make such a regular thing like a cracked screen so easy to do yourself.

they'll be making phones where each component is replaceable.
Thats the way to go now really.

Right I v'e a slight problem now, my daughter said the proximity sensor isn't working so if she has an incoming call normally the screen would go blank when it's against her head but now it stays on. This means , if her ear say catches the phone it can mute or open apps while in the call.

Will it be out of line when I've put it back together or something to do with the new glass ?

As a follow up,
I took the phone apart to see why the proximity sensor wasn't working. What I noticed was, on the back of the old sensor I took out there was a small piece of grey foam stuck to the back of it the but on the replacement screen and sensor there was none attached.
I just swapped out new proximity sensor for her old one, with foam attached and the sensor now works fine.

So make sure the back of the sensor has foam stuck to it to black out the sensor and no light seep in from the back of it.

all sorted , replacement screen came with camera and home button already attached as I didn't want to be arsin around . Hardest part was the suction and getting the screen to lift enough to prise open.

I'd say took 1/2 tops , it's about time someone in design decided to make such a regular thing like a cracked screen so easy to do yourself.

Where did you buy it from mate ?

From here:-

Bad Request

I know I paid more but it was here the next day and I didn't want to be swapping all the other bits over. I was intending on just clipping the new screen in but I ended up swapping over the sensor anyway !!

From here:-

Bad Request

I know I paid more but it was here the next day and I didn't want to be swapping all the other bits over. I was intending on just clipping the new screen in but I ended up swapping over the sensor anyway !!

How does it compare to the oe screen bud ?

I usually buy genuine but fiancé's screen just gone - she can upgrade in couple months so just gonna get as good one as poss.

It's on my daughters phone so as far as I can see it looked fine to me, pic quality and response to touch. Is it's 100% gen ?, I can't honestly say but she's only young so if it's not she cant tell which will do me :) she did about a day without it, I was crawling up the wall with the moaning !.

It's on my daughters phone so as far as I can see it looked fine to me, pic quality and response to touch. Is it's 100% gen ?, I can't honestly say but she's only young so if it's not she cant tell which will do me :) she did about a day without it, I was crawling up the wall with the moaning !.

Okay pal. Ty :) I'll take Ya word that they look good and grab one. Misses will probs only sell it when she upgrades anyhow lol

my advise would be look under ear speaker, look at his video and bang on 2:47

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ4SU_aXF0o

Were he removes the ear speaker you can see a small zig-zag shaped piece of grey foam stuck to the back of the prox sensor.
I think without this light creeps back in and doesn't allow the sensor to work correctly so it needs it, the new screen I ordered from my link didn't have this.

So I just took my daughters old camera/sensor off like at 2:55 , It comes off all in one go and I used that instead of the one they sent.
You can get cheaper ones. DoomedEarl said he uses these:-

iPhone Parts - iPad & iPod Parts | Price Beat Guarantee

But you need to swap over the backplate and home button. If your confident enough then there alot cheaper screens. I was intending not do hence I bout the dearer one but in the end I had to replace the camera not the home button.

*BUMP*
I have a blue 5c with a cracked screen , were can I get a gen one blue 5c digitizer from ?. The 2 places I looked were "out of stock" or £60 which seemed a bit steep considering I paid £34 for the last one for my daughters phone.

Back