Security IP Camera Setup

Bk456

Inactive User
Reaction score
We would like to setup some IP cameras in our property, one to use as a baby monitor inside and two outdoor cameras that will record all activity to my hp micro server running windows 8 and also be able to access the feed from my iPhone 6 plus....

Do I need cables run, or should I use wireless cameras, its not a problem running cables as I have the whole house wired in cat6 so taking some outside is not an issue. Do they also need 240v

Kind regards,

depending on what cameras you pick some will need power some have POE and will power from your network cable

Would always advise to run cables where possible just so much more reliable than WiFi and also won't clog your WiFi connection and suck up the bandwidth.

Most IP cams will be POE (power over ethernet) compatible you will need to make sure you get POE injectors with the cams

You may also be better to think about installing a dedicated NVR as this will supply the POE and make it easier to stream the content to web to allow remote access via your iPhone etc.

G....

Back