internet connection

bobbybritt

Inactive User
Reaction score
hi,i have 2 pci cards 1 for earthnet 1nine pin for datathese do everything eccept download from blue button my question is which is the best way to get a connection to do this ps. i have no router. thanks bobby.

If you got two ethernet cards shouldn't you be posting this in the pc section rather than the satellite section?

hi no i have 1 earthenet card and 1 x 9pin data card but these wont download from the blue button i need internet connectionwhat i want to find out is which is the best way to do this nothing to do with tv.thanks bobby.

You have not said what reciever you have but you will only be able to connect to the internet with your ethernet card. You need to check your network set up and also need to make sure you have the ciorrect ip addrerss for the gateway.

The answer is really that if you want the receiver to have internet access you need a network, ie get a router.

Alternatively if you are very confident with pc's, ip's, gateways, etc, you can try the internet connection sharing method through your computer but its not going to be ideal. You need to connect your receiver to the ethernet pci card with a cross-over cable, and dont use the serial port.
Your pc will then have to connect to the net by usb modem or whatever else you use. Then set up your internet sharing in your operating system to use that net connection, then enter chosen settings into receiver to direct it through that gateway.

In reality if you want more than 1 pc or other item to have internet connection you simply need a router.

Thank you Pinkhelmets, took the words right of my mouth. lol

hi,i have 2 pci cards 1 for earthnet 1nine pin for datathese do everything eccept download from blue button my question is which is the best way to get a connection to do this ps. i have no router. thanks bobby.

do you have a broadband connection?
is your broadband connected via usb modem?

It must be usb modem if you don't have a router, most isp's now give away free wireless routers, ring em up and request one, if it's too akward to feed a cable from your router to the tv then purchase a couple of network over mains adaptors and plug one into your router, then the other at the tv, then plug it into whatever.
A router with built in modem is the only way to share your broadband correctly.

Back