Internal 1TB drive

porche944

Inactive User
Reaction score
I'm thinking of installing an INTERNAL 1TB drive in a PS3, does anyone have any experience of this?

Does it work, and is the entire drive "seen" by the PS3?

Thanks.

As far as I'm aware you still cannot get 1tb internal hard drives that will fit inside the PS3 as they're all 1 inch too big.

I've been on the lookout myself for ages.....I did see one on the CEX website that stated 2.5 inch 1tb internal hdd...but knowing CEX as unprofessional retards I wouldn't put any stock in that because it was likely a typo.

Currently the biggest hdd you can get to fit inside a PS3 *I think* is 500gb....

You can fit a 1TB drive of the 2.5inch type they are a few mm thicker so you will have to mod the cage to get it in.

1TB does fit and work but you can either mod the cage by pounding down the raised bumps on the cage under the drive or use no cage and put some card/foam behind the drive to wedge it in.

Also from reading other posts elsewhere, it seem the larger WD scorpio's have a tendency to skip during cut scenes/fmv.

Thanks for the info.

I think I will play it safe and go with the 500GB for now.

Thanks.

a 1tb 2.5 inch drive is 3mm thicker than any smaller 2.5 drive..
(1tb are 12mm)

I upgraded to a 500GB last night (very easy and took 15 mins max). This is a really good video on YouTube on how to do it ...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNSytaL9hnI]YouTube - How to Upgrade a PS3 Hard Drive[/ame]

and I CONFIRM that using the in-built system BACKUP util DOES backup your GAMES folder (or whatever you use) too :)

Back