Info required for flat roof – Roofers/Builders

Killer_K

Inactive User
Reaction score
Guys, I have a flat roof on part of my property (extension covering all of the back yard) – it measures around 17 foot by 16 foot, the room is on the ground level and is a Kitchen. At the moment I have a flat roof with felt and gravel on but I want to make the flat roof into a Mezzanine so it becomes my back yard. I have access to the flat roof through a window which I am planning to make into a patio door.
So what I want to know is if I was to change my flat roof to become a Mezzanine what options do I have. For example I have thought of these three options:

Option 1: I was thinking about a decking option which was to leave my flat roof as it is and get some treated joists and joist hangers to create the floor and then cover it with Deck boards – ensuring I have a pitch allowing the water to nicely run off the decking.

Option 2: To use steel/galvanised corrugated sheets under the treated joists as mentioned in option 1 above this will enable to create a double skin (two roof layers), sealing the corrugated sheets will enable the water to run off these sheets so very little water should go down to the next level which is the existing flat roof that has felt and gravel. I will have the decking boards on top as mentioned in Option 1.

Option 3: To remove the gravel from the existing flat roof and lay down around 3 to 4 inch of concrete using a mesh wire which will enable the concrete to hold together. The current joists are 10in high by 2 inch wide so technically they should be able to handle the weight of concrete around 3 to 4 inch thick. Once concrete has settled then secure the edges with lead and silicon to ensure no water sips through, then finally tile over the concrete.
I’m not sure which option is good and what are the pro and cons of each option as well as what other options are available to me. I’m really confused guys so would welcome any suggestions from you guys who are either in the trade or have seen or done something similar. Please help...so confused........

You will need to re-cover the structure in good High Performance felts
( properly carried out by experienced felt-fixers)
Then lay patio slabs or terrace tiles. Simple.
You will need permission from council and would have to comply with building regulations.

And also you will need to consider the extra weight you will be introducing to the existing walls, ie the footings etc.....
You really do need to get a builder in!!

And also you will need to consider the extra weight you will be introducing to the existing walls, ie the footings etc.....
You really do need to get a builder in!!

yep, my guess too. the structure may well need new footings. effectively, pulled down, given new foundations, then rebuilt. you will also need full planning permission, for any of this. so i am informed.

thanks guys, i've had three builders and two roofers in and none have mentioned about footings being too weak to carry weight so thats not a problem. all the guys i asked to come and provide a quote are pro's.

anywayz, been down to council today and yes it does require planning so will be putting an app in this week, also building regs and one builder suggested using fibreglas - i think that may be the way, if my application is approved.

thanks guys, i've had three builders and two roofers in and none have mentioned about footings being too weak to carry weight so thats not a problem. all the guys i asked to come and provide a quote are pro's.

anywayz, been down to council today and yes it does require planning so will be putting an app in this week, also building regs and one builder suggested using fibreglas - i think that may be the way, if my application is approved.

Don't use fibreglass, it's too rigid and slippery.
Get it covered like I said and you could even put a lawn on it and have a proper roof garden.

Back