Indyref2

janobi

Janet to us
VIP Member
Reaction score
With the SNP (Nicola Sturgeon) decreeing that she will hold a 2nd referendum for Scotland, what are the thoughts of our Scottish members. Westminster has already said that it wont allow the vote, so is Nicola just stirring the pot? Furthering her own agenda? Do any of my Celtic brothers want independence from the UK?

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

Im genuinely interested in what people think and want. If independence is given, will the same happen for Wales/Northern Ireland? Can any of these small nations survive outside of the UK?

Let's at least keep it civilised for a few posts without the name calling please :)

the thing is, I'd like Independence but voted to leave the EU......

Sturgeon wants independence from the UK but not from Europe. I can't understand that, smells "fishy" to me :rolleyes:
I believe our relatively tiny island needs us to stay together.

My heart and the William Wallace in me cries out for freedom but my brain says wake up, dreams over.

The difference with Northern Ireland being able “to survive” is different to Scotland & Wales going it alone.
Northern Ireland is wanting its 32 counties unified as a single nation. So Northern Ireland will NOT be going alone, as referendum (when it happens) will be for united ireland.
As a proud republican i do see that happening within my lifetime.
Scotland i can not see struggle with oil reserves that will not be going back to UK treasury and if they join the EU “if” they get independence, jobs will start flooding in as international companies/nations are unconformable over britains future on trade.

In a nut shell i have not seen the United Kindom in as much turmoil. England scream from the mountain tops on “democracy”......
Democracy is voting, so why is westminister having a problem on what they preach now.
Northern Ireland & Scotland will get independence at some stage.
This has came more to light with the mess brexit is now, as lies apon lies were spread to convince people to leave the EU.
As i said before, and say again......
Reap what you sow
When the north of Ireland and Scotland are free from the shackles of westminister its only one nations problem. The same nation that started the problem.

The difference with Northern Ireland being able “to survive” is different to Scotland & Wales going it alone.
Northern Ireland is wanting its 32 counties unified as a single nation. So Northern Ireland will NOT be going alone, as referendum (when it happens) will be for united ireland.
As a proud republican i do see that happening within my lifetime.
Scotland i can not see struggle with oil reserves that will not be going back to UK treasury and if they join the EU “if” they get independence, jobs will start flooding in as international companies/nations are unconformable over britains future on trade.

In a nut shell i have not seen the United Kindom in as much turmoil. England scream from the mountain tops on “democracy”......
Democracy is voting, so why is westminister having a problem on what they preach now.
Northern Ireland & Scotland will get independence at some stage.
This has came more to light with the mess brexit is now, as lies apon lies were spread to convince people to leave the EU.
As i said before, and say again......
Reap what you sow
When the north of Ireland and Scotland are free from the shackles of westminister its only one nations problem. The same nation that started the problem.

River, do the south want a united Ireland? I always thought they didn't want it united, im not up on the politics of it all tbh.

What would a united Ireland have that the others wouldn't? I know it's a technology giant (Southern Ireland) due to the corporation tax and the breaks that comes with it.

Also wouldn't you need the parties in the north to agree? Atm is seems like you're all at each others throats, so I cannot see it being unified in the North, let alone as 1 Ireland. And with the troubles that are ensuing within the North now, via the "New IRA", I certainly dont see that changing anytime soon.

As for Scotland, iirc they dont "own" the oil or gas fields, I believe they're basically owned by the crown eg England, therefore Scotland cannot rely upon that as a source of income. Also with them being taken out of the EU, they couldn't rejoin as a nation without jumping through multiple hoops, it's not a simple process of "We'll join" and they're let back in. The EU confirmed this last time it was raised.

As for Brexit, both sides lied, not just one. However the nationalistic tendencies of the country have resulted in the leave vote. I dont believe this was solely to do with Westminster or the anti-english sentiment that you seem too insinuate was the reason.

For instance, Wales has had massive grants, and regeneration from the EU, much I would imagine like Scotland/NI, yet the majority of Wales voted to leave. Without that money from the EU, Wales would still be the armpit of the UK, and with us leaving the EU then it's only going to get worse, as Westminster isn't going to fund the projects that the EU have, as they're very SE England centric, eg HS1.

Back