INDIA Twenty20 World Champions!!!

Drunken Master

Inactive User
Reaction score
India beat Pakistan in the World Twenty20 final by five runs to clinch their first major trophy since 1983.
They were up against it when Umar Gul (3-28) helped restrict them to 157-5, despite Gautam Gambhir's 75.

But RP Singh struck twice early on and Irfan Pathan took 3-16 as a succession of Pakistanis gave away their wickets.

Misbah-ul-Haq (43) rallied them with three sixes off Harbhajan Singh and another in the final over, but fell to Joginder Sharma to end an amazing game.

It brought a hugely entertaining tournament to a fitting climax, which was always likely - after all, the teams tied their group game.

There was a similar frenzied atmosphere when the latest instalment in their rich rivalry commenced at a packed Wanderers.

Gambhir was a figure of calm assurance, however, after debutant Yusuf Pathan and Robin Uthappa perished with mis-timed heaves during a frenetic opening.

He placed and timed the ball elegantly, particularly through the covers, in bringing up his fifty in 38 balls.

The left-hander put India on course for a formidable total, but Yuvraj Singh - the hero against England and Australia - never got going as Gul exerted control with his clever variations in pace and length.

Gul took a return catch after Yuvraj top-edged a pull and sent skipper Mahendra Dhoni's leg-stump flying as the scoring slowed dramatically between the 14th and 18th overs.

Umar Gul pegged India back during an impressive spell

Gambhir quite literally hurt Gul's figures by smashing the ball into the scoreboard over the mid-wicket fence but Gul had the last word by having him snapped up at short fine-leg to become the leading wicket-taker in the tournament with 13.

Rohit Sharma collected successive fours off Yasir Arafat, while Mohammad Hafeez helped a swipe off Sohail Tanvir over the wide long-on boundary to take the score past 150.

But India still had a lot of work to do to clinch their first major silverware since the 1983 World Cup final and deny their neighbours the chance to emulate their 1992 50-over triumph.

Their prospects looked brighter when Hafeez guided RP Singh's fifth ball to Robin Uthappa at slip and Kamran Akmal lost his off-stump to an inswinger from the left-arm paceman.

As long as Imran Nazir stayed at the crease the run rate was never likely to be an issue.

He battered two fours and two sixes off an atrocious first over from the erratic Sree Santh which cost 21 runs.

Younus Khan was nowhere near as convincing, although he managed to get bat on ball to collect successive leg-side fours off Santh to take the team past 50 in the sixth over.

The innings then capitulated from 52-2 to 77-6 as Dhoni's bowling changes took the pace off the ball.

Nazir, who went into the game with a groin problem and was refused a runner, was short of the crease when Uthappa's throw from mid-off hit the stumps.

RP Singh took three wickets as India fought back

Younus holed out to mid-on, while skipper Shoaib Malik and dangerman Shahid Afridi, who went first ball, tossed their wickets away with ambitious heaves off Irfan Pathan.

The seamer cleaned up Yasir Arafat to end a brief revival but Misbah swung off-spinner Harbhajan between cow corner and long-on for three thumping sixes, and Tanvir flicked the returning Santh for two more maximums to provide a massive twist in the tale.

Crucially, Santh knocked out the tail-ender's off-stump and RP Singh cleaned up Gul with his penultimate delivery.

The inexperienced Joginder Sharma was entrusted with the final over and began with a horrible wide and when Misbah battered another six down the ground the game looked up.

But Misbah's gamble of trying to loft the ball over the keeper's head backfired horribly and handed a stunning victory to India.

i'll say the best team in the tournament was Pakistan and India was very lucky as Pakistan could have got home as they need 6 from 4 ball which they could have got quite easily!

I say the best team won, everyone for there own opinions, after all you were hoping the assuis thrashed them (India) but that never happenend! Congratulations to the CHAMPIONS..

Best team is Pakistan??

Er who won the world cup? Who beat Pakistan twice?? Plus India had one less game cos of the rain

: party :

Wow if Pakistan were better they would have won the tournament and not finished RUNNERS UP. They lost IIRC lol :err:

Live with it India are better than Pakistan.

Pakistan have NEVER beaten Indian in a ICC tournament. India have a hoodoo over Pakistan that they just cant shake off. :Boo:

Anyway back to the WORLD T20 CHAMPIONS.

Very tense game throughout. Pakistans bowling was excellent through their 20 overs. They really pinned India down with only Gambhir and Sharma offering resisitance. Pakistans batsmen never really got going. Nazir batted well wihile Misbah continued his good form but he just had too much to do with the rest of Pakistans batsmen playing poorly.

Pathan and Singh bowled excellently while Sreesanth was unpredictable as usual.

A great game that could have gone either way but there can only be one winner.

Congratulations to India on being the first ever T20 World Champions.

Balle Balle Chak De Fateh!

what a way to loose a game

The best team dosn't always win but this time i would say the winner of this game would have to be the best team seen as both sides played the same teams with the same results bar the game that really mattered, but what a shot to play to lose a game i bet that mishba is havin kittens the size of footballs in his sleep : shocked2

Look at the overall head to heads i know who is ahead any how the rest off the games between the 2 are ICC approved so gain official ICC recognition so technically it is an ICC tournament where Pakistan has a far superior record!

Also Pakistan is way better the India admit it the bowling of Pakistan side is way superior and the middle order batting is better India have the better opening batsmen though and thats it!!!

Wow if Pakistan were better they would have won the tournament and not finished RUNNERS UP. They lost IIRC lol :err:

Live with it India are better than Pakistan.

Pakistan have NEVER beaten Indian in a ICC tournament. India have a hoodoo over Pakistan that they just cant shake off. :Boo:

Anyway back to the WORLD T20 CHAMPIONS.

Very tense game throughout. Pakistans bowling was excellent through their 20 overs. They really pinned India down with only Gambhir and Sharma offering resisitance. Pakistans batsmen never really got going. Nazir batted well wihile Misbah continued his good form but he just had too much to do with the rest of Pakistans batsmen playing poorly.

Pathan and Singh bowled excellently while Sreesanth was unpredictable as usual.

A great game that could have gone either way but there can only be one winner.

Congratulations to India on being the first ever T20 World Champions.

Balle Balle Chak De Fateh!

Sorry I dont understand what you are trying to say Ronaldo121.

I'll just reiterate my point that I was trying to make:

I can tell you with 100% certaintity that Pakistan have NEVER beaten India in a ICC tournament since day dot NEVER EVER NEVER unless you know something that the ICC dont.

I dont understand your point about ICC approved. World you care to clarify this point?

Knock Knock...........................

......... (Whos There?).............

.........MISBAH....................

........(MISBAH WHO?)..............

......... MIS BAH 5 RUNS...........

all matches that take place between countries (i.e. internationals) are ICC tournaments you nerd

Its becoming apparent that your knowledge of cricket is about as smart as the turd stuck under my shoe.

You're such a poor loser and I see that you are referring back to name calling. I see that you didn't learn anything from you previous ban.

India are CHAMPIONS. Live with it. Pakistanis LOST and have always lost.

Pakistan have NEVER beaten India in an ICC tournament. Pakistan always lose.Can you actually tell me one time when Paksitan have beaten India in an ICC tournament? I really doubt it. You just make this stuff up as it makes you feel better about being a loser with Pakistan.

So come on then lets hear about the time you think Pakistan have beaten India in an ICC tournament.

a tournament can be between 3 countries as well you nerd i.e pakistan, india & England it doesn't have to be a world tournament

also this was a world 20/20 not a world cup

key word in this is WORLD...tell me wat u think is the bigger more important, a world tournament or small series?

just accept pakistan lost and get over it...there'll be other world tournaments, then wen pakistan win you can come and be proud ur team won

As a neutral...India are the world twenty twenty champions...end of. In all sports there will always be people who think their team is better but India won the tournament.

Ronaldo m8, its only a game calm down.

the Indians are shit you look at overall stats then come back we know who has the superior record you monkey

shit????? They just beat England, South Africa, Austraila and Pakistan (Twice!!!) in a major World Tournament!!!!

Back