IFA Problem

For what it's worth, here are my personal notes on IFA ( version 2.2 ) with thanks to guides and PaphosAL.
This works for me almost always first time using xover cable only and takes about three minutes to flash,

IFA version 2.2

Turn off windows firewall
Disable wireless network connection

set LAN network IP to 192.168.0.201
( IFA automatically sets dbox IP to 192.168.0.202 )

open IFA
select image for flashing
select network device
switch dbox on
press start
a dialogue box pops up
switch dbox off
click ok
switch box on
flashing should begin
progress is indicated on LCD ( IFA image on TV screen )
Fertig and smiley faces on LCD means success
disconnect network
off then on at the mains

Good feedback, rodboy- thanks!

I've been having an interesting play with IFA 2.3 this morning. I have 3 dboxes permanently hooked-up to my wired LAN and 8 port router, as well as the desktop pc and PAP2 voip phone adapter.

Powered-off the lounge and bedroom dboxes and connected null-modem cable from pc to office test dbox. Left this dbox connected to the tv via scart and rf, and to the digifeed. AVG 7.5 active on pc; no change made to NIC (which is on Autoselect IP). No s/ware Firewall on pc, as the h/ware firewall in the router is bullet-proof. Left cable modem active on router's WAN port.

So the ethernet connect is PC to router with straight through patch, same from router to dbox, all left as normal setup.

IFA flashed first attempt!! Nice colour logos on tv screen, full flashing progress on dbox lcd (some in German).

Repeated the test with no null-modem cable connected; No joy at all...

Straight onto fleaBay and bought a 10 metre null-modem cable for £5-98 inc p&p- this will reach from my pc up in the office to either of the other 2 dBoxes. Sods Law dictates that neither of those boxes will ever go Kein System or stuck on Loading Kernel again, LOL!!

One final thing to mention about IFA. If you have your pc set up for Network Sharing, maybe for a Mount from your dbox, IFA will NOT work. You'll either have to uninstall Sharing (a bit of a pain), or use another pc, or do like me and have a second bootable hdd to use.

Cheers- AL :drink:

To be honest, techquest, I haven't tried v3.0 yet. But v1.5.6 is the version that gave me all the grey hair and long beard... LOOK AT ME! I'm only 24 ffs!!

The IFA I've been using these past couple of months is v2.3.1 and this one seems solid. Once it's away, there's no stopping it. So no annoying hangs part-way through, where you have to kick-start it back into life by getting 'active' in the console window. (No null-modem in this scenario, and you'd be sitting there all night, LOL!)

Here you go: http://www.mediafire.com/?cu9s1zj91jc

Cheers- AL

Hi AL tried v2.3.1 yesterday and interesting to find I had problems with it and it would not flash. Even though nul modem was set to no, was using xover cable, v2 kept bringing up the box for serial xfer no matter what I did. I then went back to v3 and the same process and hey presto it flashed with no problem. Stange!

Based on this observation do you think IFA versions are dependent on what is set on XP?

Not sure, m8- I didn't write XP. But null-modem AND ethernet cables are best!!

But can we now take it that your days of inaccessible Sportster image are now over, and that you have flashed an image that you CAN access via FTP etc?

Cheers- AL

Not sure, m8- I didn't write XP. But null-modem AND ethernet cables are best!!

But can we now take it that your days of inaccessible Sportster image are now over, and that you have flashed an image that you CAN access via FTP etc?

Cheers- AL

Sorry this now seems to be split over a couple of threads AL. But as stated my box and Andromeda 2.0 puts sportster where it belongs. But as stated in my other post my brothers box is the problem as the lowlife asswipe defineitely changed the user/password without telling anyone!!

My bro won't take my box in replacement as he knows it has a problem. So I'm trying to find a way to resolve it. Thanks to yourself and other DW members I'm finding my way through some of the issues and am now much more versed in understanding the dbox than I ever was. So I will try anything that is suggested with the sure fact that I am learning.

You guys got me on the footie front though as I don't like to mention Newport County. I think they got a record crowd last week as there was 26 at the game including the crowd!!

im having a problem flashing now aswell. excuse my previous post

Last edited:
Back