If anyone mentions cats...

Him Her

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
...three fecking days I've been chasing this nuisance RCD tripping problem. Every time I nail one fault another one appears - me Megger batteries are worn out. I'm going home on an evening with a crisis of confidence!

I used to be sooo good at this diagnostics stuff, am I losing it? How can a fault 'move'?

Finally, I do what I should have done and remove every socket and other accessory on the ring. Then trace out every single leg and replace the accessories one by one testing at every change.

Some accessories fail, mostly in the kitchen, they get tested and replaced even if they look the slightest bit dodgy.

Bypassing a particularly dodgy part of the ring I finally get good test results.

The cats? Oh, they were 'spraying' the sockets - no, I have no idea why. Anyway, cat-spray trips RCDs so I've sealed around them and shoved kiddie protectors in.

A partial retire next week should fix the other dodgy part - probably a joint box under the floor swimming in water from all the rain recently.

Note to Santa - a silenced semi-automatic with night-sights would be good. Small bore, just right for bloody cats...

Worktops M8, they walk on them, no wonder I went home for me scran ;)

I have 4 cats m8 and if one of them dares walk on counters or tabletops we will be down to 3,2,1 ;)

Like you, I had a maddening Random RCD problem - sometimes went after 5 mins,
but othertimes went for months before tripping again. Finally solved the problem.
When I had a new CH boiler fitted, they connected the neutral return from the accelerator
resister in the Frost thermostat to the lighting circuit. This caused an current imbalance, which,
if coinciding with other units such as the deepfreeze switching on, would trip the RCD.
Used a few expletives on that I can tell you !!!

Kiddie protectors?

If a kid can do it, cat's piss ain't gonna be a problem.

/I do undrstand that cats piss can get in the earth and........but this was perfect opportunity to highlight how damn stupid those things are.

Kiddie protectors?

If a kid can do it, cat's piss ain't gonna be a problem.

/I do undrstand that cats piss can get in the earth and........but this was perfect opportunity to highlight how damn stupid those things are.

True-ish but...

1 - no kids in the house
2 - all the sockets are above worktops so, out of reach of visiting kids
3 - the report has some flaws

The most glaring flaw is the stock photo showing an MK single socket which clearly has a swivel shutter making the trick with an upside-down protector impossible. The sockets fitted have these shutters.

I do agree that generally these protectors are a waste of money and could be more dangerous than nothing at all.

Finally, it was the best I could come up with given the customer didn't fancy IP-rated accessories throughout :)

To cap it all - a few little jobs to finish off around the house before Crimbo and the bl**dy cats have p*55ed in me tool roll!

Just had to wash the roll AND all me small tools - GRRR!

I'm off to Google cat recipes...

dont get me on cats, a cat just killed our beloved rabbit this morning (housebroken lovely animal and i dont normally like rabbits).
my dogs were going mentle at the french windows when our rabbit was in the garden, i looked out of the window and this fooker was in our garden chasing the rabbit, the rabbit ran behind the shed where he normally couldnt get and was impaled by an old wired fence our ex neighbor dumped there.
i wasnt quick enough to get the cat out, and now i have to try to clean up the mess and avoid letting the kids know until after christmas. thats gonna be difficult as he was always a house rabbit and sleeps with the dogs every night.
if only i had put the dogs out with the rabbit.

dont get me on cats, a cat just killed our beloved rabbit this morning (housebroken lovely animal and i dont normally like rabbits).
my dogs were going mentle at the french windows when our rabbit was in the garden, i looked out of the window and this fooker was in our garden chasing the rabbit, the rabbit ran behind the shed where he normally couldnt get and was impaled by an old wired fence our ex neighbor dumped there.
i wasnt quick enough to get the cat out, and now i have to try to clean up the mess and avoid letting the kids know until after christmas. thats gonna be difficult as he was always a house rabbit and sleeps with the dogs every night.
if only i had put the dogs out with the rabbit.

That's unfortunate mate sorry to hear that, were you aware of the Fence? I'd take it round your neighbours along with the rabbits corpse, force your way in and chuck them both onto the dining room table during their Christmas lunch.

Edit
Just read ex neighbour :(

nope didnt know it was there until this morning, the cheeky sod removed his old chainlink fence and tucked it behind the shed knowing it wont be noticed, the rabbit managed to force his way thought he rotten wood skirts attached to the side of the shed and ran into the jagged metal thats there.
i wish the twat hadnt moved otherwise i would have done excatly that. kids are already asking about the rabbit and were saying he is in the garden - trying to change the subject for at least a couple of days

How old are the kids? Can you say he has gone to visit his mum and Dad for Christmas??

(Since they are probably dead by now, it isnt really a lie)

On a lighter note, I can still remember the stick my brother got from the insurance company when trying to claim a new TV and video recorder.

One of his cats had sat on top of the TV and pissed through the vents, it then dripped through the bottom into the recorder underneath.

Even though both were switched off, the cat pee was enough to blow both motherboards.

Back