Ideas on decent spec tablets.

kegnkiwi

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Possibley looking for a decent spec tablet around the £200.00 to £250.00 mark anybody got any ideas. I think 8" is about the right size and what I've been looking at is the ipad mini 2, not to sure I want an android tablet as I already have an htc one m8 but would like something different, also been looking at surface 2 and dell 5000 with win 8.1. This is a christmas present for me so I may wait until boxing day sales. I've seen the hudl2 and I already have a 7" tablet allwinner running a cortex a-10 chip at 1.5ghz. but it's really slow even with a swap file installed.

From your criteria I'd agree & say iPad mini 2 fits the bill.
HH.

if you only have £200 - £250 you have already priced yourself out of a decent android/ windows 8 tablet
definitely buy the apple device.

personally i paid £89 for a dreaded android galaxy tab 3 8 inch that is pretty quick but now only my truck sat nav

and have just had delivered a cheap and nasty small 10 inch windows 8 tablet that works out £29 as i traded in my old archos (search linx 10 inch staples deal)

so for £250 you should get a diamond encrusted gold plated ipo screen 4 inch apple device :)

(just winding you up as i hate apple lol) but the android and windows devices were that cheap)

jase

personally i paid £89 for a dreaded android galaxy tab 3 8 inch that is pretty quick but now only my truck sat nav
@jase what you using as a holder/mount for the 8" tablet in the truck, been pondering this myself?
& Cheers for heads-up about Staple/Linx.

HH.

Last edited by a moderator:
have you looked at the kindle fire hdx 16 gb, its currently £99 in argos so is a bargain and a really rapid machine.

have you looked at the kindle fire hdx 16 gb, its currently £99 in argos so is a bargain and a really rapid machine.

I've seen that they have dropped the price of the kindle fire in argos but i believe they are last years stock, this years new design they have dropped the world kindle and now its just the fire hdx 8.9 ect. Currys dropped this years fire hdx 8.9 to £189.00 on black friday but I believe it was just a sales ploy we went into our local currys and there was not one machine availalbe in the uk at that price.

if you only have £200 - £250 you have already priced yourself out of a decent android/ windows 8 tablet

and have just had delivered a cheap and nasty small 10 inch windows 8 tablet that works out £29 as i traded in my old archos (search linx 10 inch staples deal)

so for £250 you should get a diamond encrusted gold plated ipo screen 4 inch apple device :)

(just winding you up as i hate apple lol) but the android and windows devices were that cheap)

jase

whats your thoughts on those staples machines I was in thee yesterday looking at them? I have a tablet I could trade in that would bring the price down to really cheap.

I would not go near any device linked to company's like kindle fires or hudl etc.
They are loaded full of addware very restrictive especially amazons stuff with no access Google play.
having gone through alot of tablets myself i settled on an ipad air sure its pricey but you defiantly get what you pay for and now would be lost without it..next best in my opinion are Samsung tabs but steer clear of 7 inch devices they just are not big enough,there are alot of no generic android mediatek or all winner devices on fleabay but not a patch on samsung or apple devices and are super slow and just freeze most of the time..
I would put a bit more in the pot and get an apple ipad air £270-£290 or even a 3 or 4 or any pre ipad air ipad now under £200

@jase what you using as a holder/mount for the 8" tablet in the truck, been pondering this myself?
& Cheers for heads-up about Staple/Linx.

HH.

for the truck mount - i have a case/ fold out stand that i made 4 holes in very high on back, and used tie wraps to losely attach a suction mount from a kids car sun blind.
when i fold the stand out the suction cup is at uppermost centre and secures it against truck screen.
cheap, nasty and giving me a stress free life for the last 3 months :)

Last edited by a moderator:
got the linx 10, running windows 8 alot faster than my samsung nc10 netbook with 2 gig and windows 7

so far its smooth , responsive and i`m slowly becoming a windows 8 convert (i`m windows 7 fan boy lol)
lack off decent apps and games. the free games want you to purchase all the time so skipped them
i cant run pro evo 2015 on it, but age of empire hd is fine and smooth

i think android is still better for a portable fun device and even contemplated selling the linx as i have laptops that do the same thing.

then i put guitar rig on it..... awesome - i now have a totally portable system that turns any amp into a touchscreen modelling amp.
just added a hub and in process of making a stomp box for it

am thinking of getting another to mount in a coffee table as a mame machine :)

regards jase

jase
What system you using for truck satnav jase.just got hudl2 and looking for setup for mine.

have you considered a lenovo x201 tablet?
it's a laptop really but swivel touchscreen means it can be a 'tablet' considering that these were the original 'tablets'

you can pick up a 2ndhand ex-corp intel i7 one with win7 for £200-£300 on ebay or an i5 for <£200 ... but they are 1st gen i7's ... real quick and all the extra stuff you get from x86/x64 and the battery life is decent

I might go have a look at the LENOVO TAB S8 8" Tablet - 16 GB, Black a currys tomorrow. It looks like its got the same chip set at the Venue 8 Pro 5000, and also the hudl 2. The screen spec is much better that than the dell and is runnig kitkat 4.4. Thinnner a lighter than the hudl and £100 less than the dell.

Buy LENOVO TAB S8 8" Tablet - 16 GB, Black | Free Delivery | Currys

good to see the intel x86-soc enter the android world, however, just remember that android has been written and progressively optimised for arm architecture, the performance of these chips is pretty outstanding and the software experience will improve over time.

Back