Ibrox Disaster 40 years on

RAB - P

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
LEGENDS John Greig and Billy McNeill will lead out Rangers and Celtic in next month's Old Firm derby.

The former captains will be given the honour as both clubs mark the 40th anniversary of the Ibrox Disaster.

On January 2, 1971, 66 fans lost their lives when barriers on Stairway 13 gave way, causing a catastrophic pile-up as they left the stadium after a dramatic 1-1 draw with Celtic. Now the Glasgow giants are set to unite in a series of tributes.

As well as Greig and McNeill leading out the teams, a minute's silence will be held prior to kick-off.

Both teams will wear black armbands at the match, and Gers players will wear a commemorative shirt with a special badge representing the 40th anniversary.

An official wreath will be laid at the permanent Memorial at Ibrox by Greig, Martin Bain and Sandy Jardine.

Two areas will be set aside for floral tributes around the official memorial statue and at the area where Stairway 13 formerly stood.

And a collection will take place at the stadium in aid of St Andrew's First Aid - formerly St Andrew's Ambulance - which played a significant role in assisting the injured on the day of the tragedy and continues to provide first aid assistance at matches.

Gers will also hold a minute's silence every year there is a match at Ibrox on January 2.

Following the tributes on the 40th anniversary, a special memorial service will be held at Ibrox on January 3, which will be attended by family and friends of those who lost their lives.

Gers legend Greig said: "The terrible events of January 2, 1971 will never be forgotten.

"It was a horrific day for everyone who lost loved ones at the game and they will always be in our thoughts."

Chief executive Bain added: "The horrendous events of 40 years ago were an absolute tragedy and it is beyond comprehension that anyone should go to watch a football match and not return.

"Rangers Football Club and our fans will never forget those who lost their lives in 1971, and indeed the previous disasters, and I believe the 40th Anniversary commemorations will be a fitting tribute to them.

"I hope the families and friends of those who died will take some comfort from those who join them in remembrance."

By BILLY McNEILL

JANUARY 2, 1971.

A day forever ingrained on my mind.

The day Scottish football changed forever. The heartbreaking day 66 people lost their lives.

It was, of course, the day of the Ibrox Disaster.

I'll never forget the tragic events of one of the worst days of my life.

To think it all happened 40 years ago is remarkable. To me, it only seems like yesterday.

The harrowing events as the true extent of tragedy unfolded are still fresh in my mind.

Those who were there, those who witnessed it and those whose lives were torn apart by the tragedy, will be haunted forever.

That's why the Old Firm match at Ibrox on January 2 promises to be a highly emotional occasion.

Myself and John Greig will be leading out the teams.

It's a long time since me and my old Rangers rival have done that.

This time I can guarantee we'll both be choking back the tears.

What an honour, what a privilege our respective clubs have bestowed upon us.

Of course, we were captains of Celtic and Rangers back in 1971 and it's fitting we lead out our teams one last time on the 40th anniversary of the Ibrox Disaster.

There will also be a minute's silence prior to kick-off, both teams will wear black armbands and the Rangers players will also wear a commemorative shirt.

It promises to be an emotional, tear-filled occasion. Huge credit to both clubs for honouring those fans who lost their lives. The families will be touched by the gesture.

Yet I'm quite sure their pain and suffering won't have eased any, 40 years after the tragedy.

I was injured that day, so I wasn't involved in the 1-1 draw. I was sat in the Main Stand at Ibrox.

We knew something had happened, but we didn't know the scale of the tragedy until our bus had pulled up back at Parkhead.

Jock Stein and the coaching staff hadn't travelled with us. They had stayed behind at Ibrox, so that had given us a clue all was not well.

Had we known that 66 people had died then I know the players would have wanted to stay put and help those injured.

I think there was a newsflash on the radio in the team bus.

We were all in a deep state of shock. None of us could take it in. I don't think we wanted to.

The days that followed were truly terrible. I've never known an outpouring of grief like it.

Yet it brought Rangers and Celtic together.

Together we shared the burden.

Together we saw each other through the heartache.

That remains true even today.

I remember all the Celtic players and all the Rangers lads attending the church services.

We just wanted to do what we could to help the families. It wasn't much, I know, but we were all desperate to do something.

There was no love lost between the players and Greigy and I had certainly had our battles.

But all that was put to one side - it was forgotten in an instant.

What did a football match or rivalry matter when so many people had lost their lives?

Together we made the trips to the church services, together we visited those injured fans in hospital.

And I have to say, the fans were great too. They just forgot all about their squabbles as they did what they could to help each other.

We were united in our grief.

Now, almost 40 years on, we are ready to remember those who died together.

It will be a strange feeling to lead out Celtic again after all these years.

And I'm sure Greigy will be thinking the same.

But it is a huge honour for us both and we are humbled by the gesture.

Hopefully the match will prove to be a fitting tribute to those 66 fans who never returned home from Ibrox on January 2, 1971.

Blackest day in Scottish football.

RIP the Ibrox 66

Back