I had an urge......

Exos

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
So for some time now I've been deliberating over buying an RC Heli, I've played with the small co-axial ones in the past and rather enjoyed it (and not to be confused because actual RC heli's are a lot more complicated to fly). I was looking at a 400/450 size which is about as big as a large computer keyboard.

I've spent about 6 months on and off (probably more), looking at different models, parts, training aids, flybarless or not, cost, transmitters/receivers etc etc; you name it I've looked at it, so much so that I got myself a copy of Phoenix RC flight sim and a DX6i receiver as part of below (connects to the PC so I can train to fly) - sad I know ;)

Now, I saw some and had a bit of an impulse buy and rather than getting a single 450, i ended up with five lol!!

IMG_0581.JPG

The yellow one is a T-REX 500 (which is a beast of a Heli) - RTF, but needs a battery (which is £40!!!!!!)
The Blue one is a E-Sky 900 (which is probably similar in size as the 500) but still needs to be finished, but is ARTF.
The Blue/Red one is a E-Sky Belt CP v2 (same size as a 450), similar to above and is ARTF
The White one is a Clone -T-Rex 450 (yes it happens here as well as in the Sat world!), far from built and is just basically the gears/canopy and chassis.
The Blue/Yellow is a T-Rex 250, same as above.

For anyone that knows about RC, it can be an expensive hobby and the top two alone RTF can cost in the region of £500+ (without receiver and transmitter), all in all I picked everything up, including tools, lots of spares, some batteries, a DX6i (£90 to buy new), 4 other transmitters, spare receivers, chargers etc for £380!!!

I'm chomping at the bit to fix them up and fly, but my issue is I bought these last month and they have sat on the shelf since because I simply haven't had the time to a) look at them or b) engage in buying some needed parts to get them all going (cost also is a bit of an issue)

My missus has done nothing but complain about them sitting on the shelf lol, but by god.....airwolf here we come :)

Last edited:
lol, let's hope you're more Jan Michael Vincent than Ernest Borgnine. I can just see you now in gloves and scarf freezing your knackers off every winter Sunday morning, all alone in the Park with the theme tune on the iPod set on loop. They do look a lot of fun. I had a mate who had one and was always saying the wife was moaning at him as it cost a fortune on parts and batteries.

i always wanted one ...so i spent a fortune on one( hundreds) , i was really chuffed flying it dead high on my street..
only i couldnt land it , i ended up smashing it into a thousand bits on the side of my house ( .. never had one since lol

When you're ready...

...if you could explain 'more collective' I'd be grateful - not too technical please, just want to know why it crashed?

;)

i always wanted one ...so i spent a fortune on one( hundreds) , i was really chuffed flying it dead high on my street..
only i couldnt land it , i ended up smashing it into a thousand bits on the side of my house ( .. never had one since lol

That's part of my fear too....

There are a few training aids, such as co-pilot 2 and alien command which help with such things, something I made sure I looked into and will probably buy before I fly (for real), on the sim out of 160 I've crashed 130 times lol.

is there a flying club near you, i used to go to one years ago and tried to learn to fly planes, my gf's dad at the time was a veteran flyer and we used 2 transmitters with a buddy cable all he had to do was release a button and he took over,i never could get the hang of going opposite when the bloody thing was coming towards you lol, someone would help out has its fresh blood for the club.
Also met the guy who flew the real helicopters and the model ones for the James Bond films and what he could do with the models was mindblowing.

I think playing with your chopper is now a widely accepted urge to have :)
I've always quite fancied this as a hobby myself.

When you're ready...

...if you could explain 'more collective' I'd be grateful - not too technical please, ...............................

Thats.... easy its when captain kirk is faced with a dilema of 10,00 borg and all their mates are in a bloody big box on the edge of space.....................................

;)
................................ooops

I think playing with your chopper is now a widely accepted urge to have :)
I've always quite fancied this as a hobby myself.

Being in Manchester Gasman, I guess you see the (police) chopper a lot ;)

It's one of those things I've had a hankering for a while now, I guess it takes me back to when I was sixteen, in a field, just me a friend and some old fella playing with his planes...

Back