Hyperterminal Hell

Al-z

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hey guys, just got my max232 board in the post today, the 4 pins were holes though they gave me loads of pins wires and connectors. Anyhoo I soldered a set of pins on a made a wire for a 2100. Now the max232 has a JP on it which determines wether the max baord uses PC pwr or TTL pwr. You should know ive had this both ways but settled on the TTL power as the 2100 will give the max board the power the samsung chip needs.

As for wiring I have doubted myself so I took an ohmeter from solder joint on modem to solder joint on max board, all 0ohms. (I've also checked the 4 wires for a short and all comes up clean.)

So I've cracked open hyperterm and been using 11520, 1, N, 8, N (for a while I used 19200 cos the guy who sold me board has a picture of himself using it at that speed, but it made no effect and I went back to following tut) and while I mention the tut Ive tried using hardware flow control too, with no luck. but the settings written above are what Ive settled on based on what most people on DW have been saying.

As for the nature of my problem, I get NOTHING from hyperterm, a lot of guys have been saying they get a readout but cant press P but I dont get the readout. Again the wiring I tried it many ways. Including connecting Tx>Tx and Rx>Rx and even reversing polarity.
(Of course I tried all this after the obvious didnt work) but with no luck im back to Gnd > Gnd, Vcc > Vcc, Tx > Rx, Rx > Tx. When modem is powered LED on max board comes on but hyperterminal sits silent.

Oh ... and Ive also tried running in compatability mode as is the norm for using comm port when playing with DigiTele.

So I think ive told you guys everything and hope to hear from someone as I am killing myself lol.

Oh! PS. The modem light sequences pop up fine and once all lights go out I can still view web page via ethernet cable.

hey phantom, thanks for the reply was getting worried :)
OK so I checked your diagram, you should know I have a pre-built board off of fleabay.
I know what your thinking but Ive loopback tested it, voltmeter says 3.3 volts in vcc and everything else seems OK.

So In your diagram Ive matched all chip pins to the terminals with a continuance test, all seems OK even down to what you marked as Tx on modem my pin was Rx. So Ive been doing the right thing crossing over, So my Rx pin gives 1 Kohm, my Tx pin gives 4 Kohm from chip leg, soo I think thats quite large making me think my solder joint is poor which is possible given my soldering skills.

Hooowwwever ..... Like I say if I put a jumper on Tx Rx, hyperterm echos my keystrokes (unless the modem comms is too quick for the high resistence to handle, but my keystrokes arent?)

Back