http webpage help

pinkhelmets

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hello again.

I wondered if there is something i can do to make a page automatically refresh each time someone visits. As in write code into the page that overides personal settings that people use to make pages load faster. DW always shows the latest page and posts whenever i visit, no matter what personal settings are. But my own site does not, so i cannot read the latest bits without a refresh of the page when i am there.

Thanks for help, i got a long way to go with all this learning.....

believe what you are after is a 'cookie'

could look here for more info

ht*p://www.drclue.net/F1.cgi/HTML/COOKIES/COOKIES.html

This "automatically" is a tricky thing.

Here are the instructions for Client-Pull method using <META>:
Use <META> in the <HEAD> section of your document.
Write HTTP-EQUIV and CONTENT in <META> to accomplish client-pull.

Examples
To reload the document itself:

<HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV=REFRESH CONTENT=5>
</HEAD>

CONTENT=5 means wait for 5 seconds to reload the page.

Thanks Steve, lots of reading to do now then.

Thanks Bad Karma, always good advice, that just may do the job temp. until i learn more. I'm gonna do that at least for now, and see how it goes.

L:)

No prob m8.
This Client Pull method is fine as long as you only deal with HTML content on your page. Should do the job as it is supposed to do it, just change the time for the reload in the <refresh content=5> part to whatever suits you.

If you are into learning HTML from scratch then drop me a pm or whatever, got a handful of very usefull links for beginners

what is your site m8y ... or is it private ?

ill have a look see if i can help

:eek: oh dear, i'm embarassed, your gonna laugh at me... see pm MD, thanks.

The client pull method is a useful tip, but i found it to be annoying for this practical use, so i got to learn more about cookies. Thanks for help guys.

L:)

Another way to refresh it is the following script. Just copy and paste it into your existing html code

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript"><!--
function startTimer() {
var now = new Date();
var minutes = now.getMinutes();
var seconds = now.getSeconds();
setTimeout('refresh()',(((30 - (minutes % 30) - ((seconds>0)?1:0)) * 60) + (60 - seconds)) * 1000);
}

function refresh() {
window.location.href = 'http://yoururlhere/';
}

startTimer();
//--></SCRIPT>

This script will refresh the page on every hour and half past the hour. Time can be easily adjusted. Maybe it helps if i have a look at your site too, so if u want please send me the url by PM.

Back