HTPC with Cable TV

balls81

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am planning on building a HTPC with ability to view, record cable TV. I have done a lot of reading over the past couple of months and have reached the stage where my head is about to explode.

Kind of getting stuck when it comes to CAM's, Cards and flashing/programming etc.

I already have a card that I use in my STB that allows me to view all channels (apart from HD).

I believe the best choice of DVB-C tuner card is FloppyDTV. Then I need a CAM to go into that, and a card to go in the CAM.

So basically, what CAM do I need and flashed with what?Where is the best place to get this? I spoke to HISAT.com and they do not flash for customers anymore, neither was he willing to discuss it with me due to them being threatened by solicitors (probably representing cable tv company)

Also will my existing card work in the CAM or do I need to mess around with cards too?

Please please please can someone clear this up, there seems to be so many diff options I do not know what to do for the best.

Many thanks in advance to any contributions.

:wtf:

You could always go for a softcam such as vplug. Use this together with MDAPI 2008 (by heerfodt) and MediaPortal and you've got a VERY good and well supported system.

I'd suggest popping over to the MediaPortal folder over at dvbn for all assistance with this...

You could always go for a softcam such as vplug. Use this together with MDAPI 2008 (by heerfodt) and MediaPortal and you've got a VERY good and well supported system.

I'd suggest popping over to the MediaPortal folder over at dvbn for all assistance with this...

I kind of gathered that Soft CAM's are the less preferred method for reasons such as hard to auto update, and slow when flicking through channels.To be honest I havnt delved into soft cams at all, but hey worth a look.

Cheers.

Google is your friend and 'dvbn' should be one of your searches...

Google is your friend and 'dvbn' should be one of your searches...

Crikey me, this is a whole new can of worms. Theres probably another 3 months worth of research by the look of this stuff.

Is there any benefit of this besides cost?

Mediaportal looks pretty awesome. Does it support blu ray?

Back