HTPC Components Question

siross

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm looking to build a HTPC computer soon to go with my new TV :)

Any suggestions on components?

At the moment I'm thinking of:

Motherboard - Gigabyte 780g Motherboard
Ram -4GB DDR2
CPU - A decent one to go on MB
Drives - Hybrid HD DVD + Blu Ray Drive + 1tb storage (this may be on a network rather than in the HTPC itself)
Case - A nice desktop micro atx case

Whats your budget?
Do you need/want HDMI out?
Are you connecting to an amp? If so which connection method; HDMI, optical or coax?

I'll try to spec something out with that mobo + 1Tb HDD and a BD/HDDVD drive.

FWIW 4Gb isn't really needed if this is just a HTPC. E.g. my Pentium D 840 based HTPC runs the 64bit version of Vista HP with 2Gb just fine.

[edit]
If you want DVB see the DVB-c -t -s room via the cable and sat rooms.

Last edited:
Hi Little Pob

That motherboard isn't set in stone. I would prefer HDMI for the HD connection yes. For audio at the moment it will be running into a two channel power amp into floor standers so will be using phono leads.

However, I will be upgrading to 5.1 through a proper AV amp so the more digital outputs the better really.

2gb is fine too, its just really cheap lol

Mobo: Asus P5N7A-VM GeForce 9300 Socket 775 onboard VGA DVI HDMI Display Port 8 channel audio mATX Motherboard - Ebuyer
CPU: Intel Pentium Dual Core E2200 Socket 775 2.2GHz 800FSB Retail Boxed Processor - Ebuyer
RAM: OCZ 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 Memory Gold GX XTC CL5 DUAL CHANNEL (LIFETIME WARRANTY) - Ebuyer (checked against the QVL of the above mobo)
HDD: Samsung SpinPoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB Hard Drive SATAII *32MB Cache* - OEM - Ebuyer
Total: £245.46 with free 5 day postage.

The BD/HDDVD optical drive I'd recommend (as it comes with retail software) is currently out of stock: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/139985

The case however, is a personal choice: Cases - *Micro ATX / Media Centre Cases - Ebuyer
If it where me I'd go for this one: Antec Fusion Remote Veris Black MATX Media Center Case - No PSU - Ebuyer (also in silver).
Note not every case comes with a PSU, and some take a non-standard size. If in doubt post back.

Last edited:
If you dont need an unstable and unreadable vfd(common view on a popular mce forum) you could always use the antec nsk2480.

Just built one myself

Last edited:

That little lot sounds very nice indeed!

The case is seeming to be quite expensive, more so than previously expected.....

Was thinking of this one:

XC 360 Home Media case-400 Watt psu- Black -Low profile - XCASE No1 For pc computer cases, atx cases & rackmount cases

Also, if I were to stagger the purchases, i.e. buy the motherboard, ram and cpu to put into my existing machine, would there be any issue with the motherboard fitting at all?

Media cases do attract a premium.

As long as your old case is based on the ATX standard (including eATX and mATX) that motherboard should fit. If the stock heat sink and fan of the E2200 is anything like the one on the E2160 I've got for my as yet unbuilt file server it'll fit in almost any case.

AMD's new range of Phenom IIs are expexted some time soon (H1 2009). When they do, most people are expecting Intel to reduce the price of their range (as is often the case), so if you can hold off until then do so.

Back