Hp pavilion slimline s3050 anyone help..

johnboy196

DW Member ++
Reaction score
HI

I have a hp pavilion slimline desktop pc it has been working ok up till last night.

I shut the pc down then today when i boot the pc up the pc is just giving me a blank screen..

I have tryed my built in graphic card and nothing plus i have try my msi graphic card and still nothing i have made no changes to the pc or added anything so does any have any idea what could be wrong.. i have all so tryed a diffrent monitor plus i have tried it on my pc.

thanks

good way of testing your mobo is power off

just press the power button once and it should power down

some fubar mobo's dont respond to this

It does sound like the motherboard.

The problem with HP (as well as Dell and a few other OEMs) are proprietry parts. You could find on removing the motherboard that the stand-off pillars are not in a standard ATX configuration. I would suggest removing the motherboard and offering it up to a case that you know has the stand-offs in the standard ATX layout.

According to the HP spec sheet for the s3050 it takes an Asus OEM micro ATX motherboard by the name of IPILP-AR. There is a 2nd hand IPILP-AR on ebay: B5059 Asus IPILP-AR 1.02 Locktite Skt 775 HP 5188-7103 on eBay, also For Intel, Motherboards, Desktop PC Components, Computing (end time 15-Jun-09 11:09:17 BST)

Unfortunately the IPILP-AR is an odd size. It would probably be best described as 'extended-ITX' (if such a format existed). For what it's worth, there are a couple of 'cheap' ITX boards about at the moment, but ITX generally only has one BUS slot (i.e. PCI, AGP or PCI-e). However, if the PCI port is used for a soundcard or wifi adapter then there are LGA775 ITX boards with built in wifi (e.g. Zotac's nForce 630i-ITX WiFi) and USB sound-'cards' are available if you don't want to use onboard sound.

Don't forget to grab new heatsink paste.

Last edited:
good way of testing your mobo is power off

just press the power button once and it should power down

some fubar mobo's dont respond to this

Acully a broken PSU wont respod to this either. I'v had coupe of PSU that you power on, and power off useing the switch and it would report, However if you clicked it twice it would power on and power off (with the PSU still providing power.) Natullery the PSU was replaced and so was the stick of RAM it fired.
Defo sounds like one componet is broken mate, just trial and error till you fail out what one.

Isnt there any rules about avteratstion services on this forum ??

Isnt there any rules about avteratstion services on this forum ??

There is against 'traders', nothing wrong with posting links to sites you have no affiliation with.

Mods/admin staff cannot read every post. Use the report post feature or PM one of the staff to alert them to any post you find that breaks the rules.

if that is the general attitude then i rather not post on this section of the forums

i been registered with DW for 4 years now

well done !

Quickly getting off topic here, but as Purity (a mod) and davidh (Admin) posted in your thread about your new venture I wouldn't worry about it.

It's not like you weren't offering advice or taking an interest...

exactly !

i have only offered my services as a last resort and that is through the thread before pm

i rather help ppl for free on this site

u dont get any thanks at the end just some cynical comment

Right i have tryed another psu and the pc is still responding in the same way so it does look like the motherboard could be failing..

I have stripped the pc right down and had a good look at the motherboard and all looks ok.

The only thing i noticed was where the cpu chip sits inside the metal case there is what look like loads of pins but about 3 of the pins look damage how could this happen would it be caused my over heating..

will have at look at the one on ebay..

photo would be good as u aint making sense

the cpu pins ?

if it is cpu pins then it has been put in the wrong way and it is fried

are u sure you seen this pc working ?

narrowed it down to cpu / mobo

and i knew it wasnt the psu :)

sorry i mean where the processor sits the pins look missing or damaged the chip can only go in one way.

will upload pic in a min.

this is the best picture i can do

when i look it looks like there is missing pins.

not sure if it should be like this looking on the ph help site about replacing the prossecore all pins are there..

Last edited:
Right thanks again for all the help. will buy a replacment motherboard.

The one on ebay looks ok and at £31 thats a good price...

Thanks

get yourself a decent motherboard this time

u dont have to keep it PB branded anymore

stick with asus, gigabyte or abit

Hi

Right just got replacment board fitted it and guess wat the same thing is happening all i get is a blank screen saving no video input..

So will it be my prosseser chip i have noticed brown marks on the the gold circules on the chip or will it be the power supply.

Thanks

You said you'd tried a spare PSU...

A CPU error should give an error beep from the piezo buzzer (aka case speaker), assuming there is one. You could try a different CPU if you've got one spare, but it's possible the 'new' motherboard is DOA.

Back