Hp DV7 Laptop wifi bluetooth card replacement N band 5Ghz

Hi again bud.
Looking around at the card you linked , in most the ads for it they state it will not work with hp laptops.

No mate just say don't work with hp, Lenovo an another make. :(

Lenovo seem to be another that use BIOS whitelists. But I think you're now at an impasse.

The age of the laptop is going to prevent you from putting in a dual-band card without hacking the BIOS. But the BIOS hack can brick the laptop...

Ahh so dammed if I do an slow if I don't lol.
Know of any usb small n band dongles ?

All the mini/thumbnail sized 802.11n dongles are N-150, which is what your current WLAN card is rated for. Although being external, may improve reception. Those sporting N-300 stick out about 2".

Newest on the block is 802.11ac, but these are £40+ per dongle and would run at "n" speeds anyway (limited by the Superhub).

Also, you might bottleneck on USB:
USB 2.0 = 280Mbit/s*
N-300 = 600Mbit/s*
60Mb/s = 480Mbit/s
(*theoretical maximum)

I vaguely recall something about either mini-PCIe or PCMCIA/ExpressCard sharing the USB bandwidth on many laptops. And for the life of me can't remember which it is. If it's the former, it would explain the speed issue.

So pretty much stuck with what I got then :( what's got me rather confused is the WLAN card installed states is b/g/n so surely should be able to run in n band but it just will not see the 5ghz on my super hub. It's deffo broadcasting cos I'm on it using my iPhone. Also iPads connected to it lol

According to the wiki article, the 5Ghz band on 802.11n is optional.

As such, I've just checked the FCC authorisation, and the Ralink RT3090BC4 is only approved for 2.4Ghz band.

Back