How to Copy a game to a XeX menu - ISO etc

dibbers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
chaps,

At last got my self XeX menu and it's working.

Attached a 300 gig 2.5" hard drive to it and also from the back USB i have a 1TB attached.

I made a backup a few weeks ago of "left for dead2" and that's stored on my PC as an ISO which has a .DVD file with it ready for burning.

I think DJJama told me i had to download the file GOD from xbins to make the games able to be played on the 360.

I was under the impression that you could plop a game in the jtag machine and simply copy it using XeX menu, am i wrong with this and have they got to be run through a PC using GOD (which I'm going to have a go at) and then copy them to the HDD attached to the xbox either by plugging in the external one or FTP'ing the game over?

Thanks

might not get this totally right as i'm doing this from memory but yep you can uses xexmenu to copy a game dvd to hard disk.

disk has to be either fat or the xbox's own hard disk (not sure what they are fatx?) xexmenu will read mac disks but not write to them.

put your dvd game in the drive (don't close it)

start xexmenu

use RB to navigate to the drives the screen then the dpad to find the drive you want to save the game to (USB0: or HDD1:)

then use the dpad and A to navigate to the directory you want to sav ethe game in (mine are in HDD1:\Games)

press Y the create a sub directory (say L4Dead or what ever). Use the dpad and A to open the new sub dir

press Y and select Copy DVD.

IMPORTANT close the drive by hand and let the disk spin up to speed BEFORE clicking confirm (get less errors that way so i'm told)

if its working you'll get a progress screen. go make a cuppa cos it takes a while. If it just gores straight back to xexmenu screen it hasn't worked, prob doesn't like the disk. If is does work i also find i have to restart xexmenu to rescan properly but that could just be me.

hope that helps for starters

Thanks so much that's a great post that you have made for n00b's like me! lol, i can't wait to get home and try it now.

Will this be the same for the copys i have and orginal disks?

Do i have to worry about any game updates or is that to do with the resistor being removed (something that i was reading about in another thread)

aye i dont get that working at all unfort

Thanks so much that's a great post that you have made for n00b's like me! lol, i can't wait to get home and try it now.

Will this be the same for the copys i have and orginal disks?

Do i have to worry about any game updates or is that to do with the resistor being removed (something that i was reading about in another thread)

only games i have copied this way have been older ones i've already burned (i just want them on the HD) newer ones i've downloaded the ISO then extracted the game files with wx360 on the pc then plugged the hd back into the 360 and fired up xexmenu. that way you can delete the $System Update folder. Bit long winded but not much worse than burning to disk and then having to copy to HD. Course if you've only got a 360 hard drive you'd have to extract to the pc hard disk then use a transfer kit.

you'd also have to use the wx360 / PC method if you want your USB drive to be mac formatted so you can put high def WMV's on there as they tend to be bigger than 4Gb (and of course you'd need to use macdrive on the PC)

and i def wouldn't knowingly run a system update on my jtag box

aye i dont get that working at all unfort

so far out of the few i've tried to copy directly only bayonetta, and forza disk 2 won't copy. one of the guys at work said mass effect 2 won't copy either (no loss after EA fecking wrecked that game - grrr)

only games i have copied this way have been older ones i've already burned (i just want them on the HD) newer ones i've downloaded the ISO then extracted the game files with wx360 on the pc then plugged the hd back into the 360 and fired up xexmenu. that way you can delete the $System Update folder. Bit long winded but not much worse than burning to disk and then having to copy to HD. Course if you've only got a 360 hard drive you'd have to extract to the pc hard disk then use a transfer kit.

you'd also have to use the wx360 / PC method if you want your USB drive to be mac formatted so you can put high def WMV's on there as they tend to be bigger than 4Gb (and of course you'd need to use macdrive on the PC)

and i def wouldn't knowingly run a system update on my jtag box

Thanks buddy, yeah got attached to the 360 a 300 gig and the external USB drive is a 1TB.

i have about 60 copies that i want to transfer over to one of the hard drives.

so you'll get to see the $system update when using wx360, and delete it, that's what i was meaning with a system update, i have it disabled from connecting to the net under parental controls....

yes you'll see the $System Update directory. either don't copy it or delete it before you hook your 1tb up to the 360. If there there it seems to know and want to use them. I had mass effect 2 in my drive and when i tried to run xexmenu is claimed it needed an update lol

Thanks bud, i downloaded wx360, how do i know what files to extract are is it all them minus the $system update? and then copy them all to a folder on the hard disk drive......

i copy the lot then delete the $system update directory. there are plenty of posts around on where to get the game updates from

Last edited:
If you want to do a controlled update download the system update from xbox.com.
Put it on the root of a usb key, boot to the dash insert the USB and you will be prompted to update.

Its prompting yous to update because the avatar pack is missing from your system. Once that is done you wont be prompted anymore as XBR is 8955

what's a controlled update mate?

when i sign in now i get the

To connect to xbox live info must be added to your console.
you cant sign in to xbox live if you dont accept this upate.

tried copying the games across using post #2 and nothing mate just keeps taking me back to the screen....looks like might have to do it the other way....

Last edited:
It will update your console without screwing your homebrew update.

Your getting that screen cause the avatar update is missing. When you sign in to an account do you have an avatar or just a shadow?

I connected to live when i 1st done the hack and it was asking me to update, so i done what i said in my last post as advised by peeps on X-S, it updated the avatar bit and next time i didnt get the update message.

I did get banned within an hour :proud: but all i wanted to do was recover my gamertag which i did.

Yup thats it, you 360 will see your already running 8955 dash and just fill in the avatar data. You wont be prompted from then on when you load any game.

Plus you will be able to customize a avatar for yourself.

thanks Cisk

i'm guessing the difference between me and dibbers is that i have a brand new profile on my jtag box and he's got one that already has an avatar, hence the message.

its all good fun isn't it :proud:

no I'm like you mate.... brand new profile on the box...so when i go to sign in that's the message i get....shall i try fall 2008 update (NXE dashboard?) as well?

(i was hoping to get my profile on that box, but not really bothered about that at the moment just want the games sorted out for now...i'm wondering if it didn't copy the games as the drive might not be flashed)

Tried an original, pro evo, and tried copying that using the menu system and that never worked - so looks like as i say manual copying them is going to have to be the way for me.

If yous both have shadows instead of avatars your in the same boat. If you want to install the avatar dat and not be prompted to update from games ect do the controlled update via usb.

where can i get fall 2008 update as that link to m$ is fall 09 update

Back