How Much to install Gas central Heating

When you say flushed do you mean you took them off and squirted a hose through? Newer rads will be more efficient and I don't think you'll save a lot by not changing them - I'm assuming the old ones would have new valves and stubs fitted?

That said, if they look sound you could always change them at a later stage but bear in mind that the new sizes can make this a bit of a pain or leave you with some ugly pipework to lose the 100mm (ish) difference in length.

I've heard differing reports of power-flushing so I've never bothered with it - I just take them off and flush them out with a garden hose, refill and top up with inhibitor.

thats exactly what I think the plumber was going to do, put a hose init and clean it out. I've looked at the rads closely and they look like they are about 15 years old so I thought it might just be worth replacing them all with new ones. What do you think of the following quote I had in today:

Take out old back boiler and fire,
take out cylinder and header tanks
Fit new boiler ( I will be free issuing a boiler and programmer, Vaillaint eco tec 837)
Replace all rads with new ones (two rads are about 2m long with 600mm high) supply and fit, 7 in total
Flush existing pipework
Run gas pipe from under stairs to first floor in bathroom where boiler is going to be housed
They will supply and install a flue which will go up through my bathroom ceiling and out through the roof approx 3m long flue
Supply and install a magna clean filter to the boiler.

all for£2200

Do you think this is reasonable?

First and foremost, check their Gas Safe registration (or whatever they call it now) but I expect you know that.
I assume "free issuing" means you supply the boiler..............if not, snatch their hand off !:)

Otherwise it sounds very reasonable for a decent job, but prices vary according to area, and "underground" doesn't give me a clue.
I guess you have a few local quotes for comparison, but suggest you wait a while, for other replies, my opinion only.

I've only ever fitted my own. Also anything really cheap usually has a good reason, but not good for you.
You might also "dicker" over who keeps the scrap as well, copper and lead scrap prices being as they are.

Last edited:
You must be supplying the boiler at that price M8 but it seems about right subject to comments from @danforth

Last edited by a moderator:
You must be supplying the boiler at that price M8 but it seems about right subject to comments from @danforth

Whoopee!.........I always knew if I just kept going long enough, I'd get something right!.......... And no ;) either! :excited:

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks guys, I've awarded the job to him, I have also managed to get £100 off which was a touch. I found his details on the Gas safe website so he must be legit. I'll check his card out before he starts work. out of the three guys I had in he was the most knowledgeable person and sounded like he knew what he was talking about.

thanks guys, I've awarded the job to him, I have also managed to get £100 off which was a touch. I found his details on the Gas safe website so he must be legit. I'll check his card out before he starts work. out of the three guys I had in he was the most knowledgeable person and sounded like he knew what he was talking about.

Be careful to check the Gas Safe ID card M8 - it should specify the areas he's allowed to work on. Enjoy newly warm house :)

Back