How do i backup my flash.img

irlam

Inactive User
Reaction score
ok so ive got my image all setup running fine with cams,scripts,picons etc.

How do i backup my flash.img? (EDG-Nemesis-3.2)

Ive tried finding an app to do this.

Ive read about iboot but as far as i can tell it boots other images stored on hdd or mms and can also back them up.

Ive read up on STB manager but apperantly it only backs-up critical settings and i cant get it to work properly something about mkdir: cannot create directory ///archive: readonly file system.

Anyway all i want to do is back-up the whole image so that when my tm9100 goes t*tsup i can just restore with my backup image.

Anybody know how to do this please before i mess about with some scripts e.t.c?

I've not been as active lately with my TM-9100 as I was 6 months ago. These days it gets used as a digital clock lol.

But when I last played about with it, I couldn't find any app that would do what you want. I even used my dreambox knowledge to try and find out a way. I did manage to make a backup.img but it woulnd't flash back to the box so it was a useless backup lol.

Maybe things have changed since then. I'll have a nosey.

Cheers devilfish m8, im having a nosey myself now have been for a couple of hours or so

Just found out how to backup my var folder to a .tgz with an app called itgateUP

wich could easilly be restored using the manual addons option in
the blue panel (i think)

Last edited:
Just seen your post as i was searching for an answer on alsat, thankyou! I will be keeping an eye on the replys,

I wouldn't hold much hope, I asked that question 6 months ago lol and still no answer.

I've asked a very knowledgable Itgate guy and it's the same firmware.

We'll see...

I've never even seen a TM-9100, but google turned up this page, which talks about dumping the flash and restoring it. It looks to me like fairly standard linux stuff. Might not be what you're looking for, (it's not a nice windows program) but it might work.

Hope this helps.

Thanks beady, that's a very indepth way of doing it.

On the dreambox we could do this command to back it up...

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

...and the complete flash would be saved.

Or we could use FlashWizardPro so back it up.

And I think something like this would need to be developed to make it easier to back the whole thing up.

At the moment, there are scripts that you can use to backup services, bouquets, etc. to the hdd or mmc but it's not ideal.

From reading the link I posted, if all you want to do is backup your changes, a
Code:
will do it. When you want to restore, I'd have thought
Code:
would do it. You might have to unmount the /var first, and the flash command might need tweaking (maybe you need 'dd if=var.bin of=/dev/mtdblock/4' ), but that's the general idea. Afterall, the dreambox and TM9100 are both linux machines,. so they operate in basically the same way.

Obviously, this is untested, so only try it if you know what your doing, but I honestly can't see how you can hurt anything more than loosing your /var changes if it goes wrong. As long as you stay away from /dev/mtdblock/5 (the bootloader), you'll be able to reflash and recover.

As for FlashWizardPro, I'd have thought all it does is the same as above, but with a nice flashy gui.

On a side note, I've got my first dreambox ordered from ****** should be arriving end of this week. I' looking forward to putting theory into practice ;)

Last edited:
Thanks beady/Devilfish for your replys,sounds abit tricky but think ill have a pop at those commands

Ive backed-up my var folder using itgateup now i want to restore the var folder ( i messed up my box playin around with plugins etc) i have a var.tgz back-up which itgate made for me how do i restore my var folder?

p.s im useing edg nemsis
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sorted it now i was usong an old version of itgate 1.0.4

found 1.0.8

it had a restore var button on the newer version
didnt on the older one

Last edited:
Back