how are sky monitoring multiroom

Nice to see you back m8 :)

Sent from my 1080P-N003 using Tapatalk

I know a family that have been doing this for a few years now, they do all live within a few miles of each other not that that makes a difference.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

i wonder if there is just a hole in sly's system. something like if neither box has been connected to the phone line or online then they dont flag up. it would be interesting to know.

As it seems, some people DO fall through the cracks :)
Me, I wouldn't risk it though... If I was going for something like this, I'd consider an FXO gateway or a VPN.

If they were only monitoring an IP 'ping' it would be quite easy to mask being in different locations (using, for instance, a VPN).

i been using my brothers second hd box for 18months i live 30miles from him and box never been connected to phone line,and i get full on demand via my ethernet connection.

just done a quick port mirroring and catching all traffic from Sky Box - looks like it sends HTTP traffic (UDP) over port 1900 to 239.255.255.250 every few minutes. This is some kind of discovery sent out on the network.

Also when the box starts up it sends traffic to host oig.sky.com with a packet containing premium channel like Sky Movies Sky Sports ..

Last edited:
just done a quick port mirroring and catching all traffic from Sky Box - looks like it sends HTTP traffic (UDP) over port 1900 to 239.255.255.250 every few minutes. This is some kind of discovery sent out on the network.

Also when the box starts up it sends traffic to host oig.sky.com with a packet containing premium channel like Sky Movies Sky Sports ..

The traffic over the port 1900 is just UPNP.
The oig.sky.com must be the phone home address.
So it seems like it's doing something...

Old thread I know, but thought this might be relevant. What is said above about some multiscreen boxes 'slipping through the net' is absolutely true, as I have numerous customers here who have done it for years. But many also have had the 'CLI violation letter' from $ly warning them to connect up to a phone line or get charged double.
But I heard something new today. An old customer just brought out his brand new multiscreen box (holiday home scenario), plugged it into his dish as usual and only received a few FTA channels. All the paid channels asked for $ly card. Yes these channels worked OK when the box was at his home address & plugged into the router.
I am guessing this means new $ly installations are using a single viewing card in the 'master box' to serve multiscreen boxes via the home network?

Could also have something to do with the 'Broadband Test App' channels that appeared a while ago, Also Multiroom is hooked up to Broadband now instead of the usual Telephone line

For the moment they'll probably do it old-style- 2 boxes, 2 cards, some day they might make BB a pre-condition, network permitting of course. Are there still black spots in the UK?

Back