HOW and WHY to search this forum ? PLEASE READ!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

de_deej

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi all,

I don't want to sound patronizing nor do I want to step on Liam's or Gav's toes so I hope this is OK.

A lot of people come to the forum for help and info, and that’s great because at the end of the day that is what it is here for.

But for some reason we seem to be getting the same questions everyday, so I thought I would just explain how and why we should use the search button (located in the top right of the forum).

Why:

1. You will find the info you need instantly instead of waiting for a response. (Members do not like to see the same questions over and over again and they will become reluctant to help)

2. If all the info is contained in one thread it will only become more detailed, and easier to understand and find.

3. It shows the hard work that has already been put in by members is fully appreciated and worth while. Rather than members spending 10 mins to reply to a detailed problem only for it to end up on page 3 in a day and to never be seen again.

4. It shows you are willing to do some work/research yourself and are not just here to use and abuse, the mods have already felt the need to lock the downloads section it will be only a matter of time before the forums become locked like o other sites.

How:

1. Make sure you are logged into the forum.

2. The "search this forum" option is located under the page numbers at the top right of the forum.

3. Ensure your search words are more than 3 letters long, as the search will not find words that are this short. Think of a suitable alternative, for example "VOD" will find no matches but "Teleport" will give you everything you need and more.

4. If you have tried a search and have received too many matches, perform an "Advanced Search" and change the search option to "Titles Only" this way the information you will receive will normally be solely around your subject.

5. If you are unsure of what to search have a scan through the threads manually you will eventually find what you need. If you change the "Display Options" at the bottom left of the forum too "From the Beginning" you will be able to look through every thread ever written on the forum.

6. If, or should I say when you find your answer please post a response on the appropriate thread. This way somebody else will be able to benefit from this information (as you did), and it keeps the thread alive.

We are very aware on this forum that each box is individual and people have problems that were previously unheard of all the time, so if you feel the need to submit a new thread I can promise you that you will receive more help from members if you can show you have done your ground and not just posted an idle question without even having the decency to have a look at the stickys.

Finally, please do not PM (Private Message) members unless you are invited to do so or they have shown an interest in your problem. Most people do not like it and will not help you out of principle. You will receive a hell of a lot more help if you post in the open forum.

I am sorry if this post offends anyone that was/is not my intention, and Liam or Gav if this is not to your taste please feel free to remove the thread.

This forum is quickly becoming the best around for this type of info, so let’s keep it this way.

de_deej

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back