Hotbird 13e, Astra 19.2e & Astra 28.2

gmanbelfast

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hope someone can help me out.

I want to pick up Hotbird 13e, Astra 19.2e & Astra 28.2

I already have a 60cm dish pointed at 28.2 but what I would like is to be able to pick up the other two at 13e & 19.2e, can this all be done with the same dish ? If not, would I be able to install a 2nd 60 cm dish with a monobloc to pick up these and then run the two dishes into a diseqc switch ?

I am pretty new to all this and would love to have some pointers.

I would rather not use a motorised system as I imagine this would be a nightmare to set up but if it's the better option then I'd be happy.

If you have any other ideas I would love to hear them.

I am in Belfast. I am willing to spend upto and around £130 for dishes etc.

Cheers.

I had a raven 70cm dish that had those birds on. Because of how 28.2 is slightly dipped some of the weaker transponders were a bit of a headache. I think I had it pointed at 19e and 13 and 28 were on the opposite sides laws of reflection and all. If you are not wanting to go down the motorised dish then the monoblock on a 60cm should be fine for 13,19. Check out lyngsat maps to see if that size dish is ok for your area. I am not sure how disqc switches would work with a monoblock lnb.

I know you think it would be a bit of a muck on to go motorised route but for the money you are quoting it would be worth it.

Dark motor £50 +p, Dish 80cm about £45, single lnb £20, mount £20. A local supplier may have what you need and have a deal on. These are just rough estimates.

If you are worried about the install put out a shoutout on here to see if any members are in your local area and are willing to help out.

With an 80cm motorised, based on what I get with restrictions ie wall and trees, you could get 28,23,19,16,13,10,9,7,5,1w,5w,8w

I had a raven 70cm dish that had those birds on. Because of how 28.2 is slightly dipped some of the weaker transponders were a bit of a headache. I think I had it pointed at 19e and 13 and 28 were on the opposite sides laws of reflection and all. If you are not wanting to go down the motorised dish then the monoblock on a 60cm should be fine for 13,19. Check out lyngsat maps to see if that size dish is ok for your area. I am not sure how disqc switches would work with a monoblock lnb.

I know you think it would be a bit of a muck on to go motorised route but for the money you are quoting it would be worth it.

Dark motor £50 +p, Dish 80cm about £45, single lnb £20, mount £20. A local supplier may have what you need and have a deal on. These are just rough estimates.

If you are worried about the install put out a shoutout on here to see if any members are in your local area and are willing to help out.

With an 80cm motorised, based on what I get with restrictions ie wall and trees, you could get 28,23,19,16,13,10,9,7,5,1w,5w,8w

Cheers for the info.

After reading this and a few other articles I think I will actually go down the motorised route, I can get everything I need within my budget including a sat finder and compass etc.

I think I would be ok installing the dish myself, plum line and all that, I think once the dish is up I will get lost setting it up on my TM800HD. I heard that If I get it pointing roughly south then select Thor 0.8E and then align the dish then everything else Should fall into place, am I right ?

Yeah basically except thor is 0.8w. The two links I found helpful when I first setup. The motor they use is different to the one I have so observe the convention of the motors instruction booklet. It goes through everything.

Watch a couple of the youtube install guides
"h**p://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k_yhxmGlEA"

To get the figures you need for usuals and a rough Idea where to point.
"h**p://www.dishpointer.com/"

You sir, you're a gent. I'll report back when I get up and running.

Cheers, I owe ya a beer.

Can I start off by locking into 28.2E ?, I bought a sat finder kit but the compass is a load of pish to be honest, it's not turning too good.. If I lock on to 28.2 will the rest fall into place if everything is plumb ?

Cheers

Can I start off by locking into 28.2E ?, I bought a sat finder kit but the compass is a load of pish to be honest, it's not turning too good.. If I lock on to 28.2 will the rest fall into place if everything is plumb ?

Cheers

Just send the dish to 0 first and point it as close to your due south,which will be your longitude ,as you can

Then send it to 28.2e and move dish-motor left /right as one to fine tune it,you may also need to move the dish up or down a bit

All the above presumes your pole is plumb and your motors latitude/elevation is set correctly :)

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk 2

Unfortunately you cant just align using 28east. You have to follow the "ARC" of where the satellites are. Basically the curve the satellites sit on in outerspace. The easiest way to do that is to align the dish with the satellite that is closest to your geographical position. For example I live in newcastle and my longitude is -1.67( 1.67west). The closest satellite to me is Intesat/thor at 1w. I have listed the strongest transponders for the easiest satellites to find.

I have never been able to use the satellite metre' ( the cheap tone ones). This is not for everyone but it's the way I do it (cant afford expensive sat metre).

I take an extension outside and use a portable tv hooked up to my Humax 2000 satbox. Connect it all up enter the USALS co-ordinates into the satbox, for me its 55N 1.6w. Then I select thor 1w on the sat box enter the frequency from below and then manually align the dish. If you look on Dishpointer it roughly gets you in the right direction. Gently move the dish till you get a lock on. You may need to decline or incline the dish. When moving the dish left and right always remember to move it from the pole on the wall end and not the on the at the sat dish and motor point. When you incline/decline the dish do that on the dish and not the motor.

When moving the dish you need to be looking at the tv screen and adjusting for the best quality figure. Don't move it too quickly as you might miss the satellite.

Hopefully that's a reiteration of what the video I linked to. Basically I skip out the sat metre part and use the satellite box to align the dish.

Astra-2 ..................28.2 east 10714H 22000 Film-4
Astra-1L..................19.2 east 12226H 27500 Euronews
Astra 1KR.................19.2 east.10742H 22000 dvb-s2 ARTE Deutsch HD (new)
HotBird-13A...............13 east 11137H 27500 Bloomberg Europe
EutelSat 7A ..............7 east 11221H 27500 Africable
Astra 4A..................4.8 east 11766H 27500 RADA
Thor-5....................0.8 west 11862H 28000 BBC World
IntelSat 10-02............1.0 west 12564V 27500 Speranta TV
Eutelsat 5 West A.........5 west 11553V 29950 TMC (new)
Eutelsat 8 West A.........8 west 11093H 2200 Sama Almosul
HispaSat-1C..............30 west 12092V 27500 Al Jazeera English

Back