Horse racing jockey ban

silverdale

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
On Thursday this happened in the 8:00pm race at Chelmsford. The jockey came out and said it was a mistake which the stewards have to believe.
Apparently some large professional bets went on it to bring the price in to 1/6 on and till he did what he did it was as good as printing money.
Now my point is, if a horse is heavily backed let's just say 20/1 to 3/1 and unusual large bets were placed the bookie will investigate and if they have any doubt suspend or void paying out.
This won't happen in this case because it favoured the bookies.
He did it so it didn't go up in the weights its first handicap on Monday at either Pontefract or Windsor. For me he he should have got 6 month not 28 days or void the race but both will have never happened:

You make your own judgement
Bent or mistake
View attachment greenticktips_2023-04-21-07-14-01_1682057641568.mp4
View attachment the_tictacman_2023-04-21-07-12-48_1682057568484.mp4

Last edited:
Looks like a mistake and error to me rather than corrupt, see this all the time with Jockeys not wanting to win to far and dropping hands.
that said not racing out to the line is an offence and mistake or not he should be banned

I thought it looked like a mistake as well. I suppose the point of view could be swayed by whether or not you had a bet on the horse. Seen many videos of sports where the leader starts celebrating and take their eyes of the ball only to be overtaken.
This looks like one of them to me.

There was no mistake Monday it came out and waltzed home. Look at the video above again, now I've seen thousands of easy winners horses in my time horses been eased up but what jockeys tend to do is ride within the horses capabilities sit on it don't push it once it's got that lead they simply stop riding it ease down.
Is this instance he actually pulls the reigns backwards near the line as he wanted the horse to emergency stop yanking the reigns back.
I can't say I've seen that done before, ease down/stop riding yes but give the reigns a tug backwards?

This is one of my hates, when you work out that a horse is good enough to win by a length or two, and bet on that outcome, but the jockey stops it from doing so, is it to preserve the horses energy or is he helping the bookies out so that they win money instead of losing it. One of the reasons that I like backing Paul Nichols horses when they are in form, if they are good enough to win by 5 lengths Harry Cobden wins by 5 lengths.

I just personally felt that Cosgrove didn't just stop riding and let the horse go through the motions slowly easing down he did far worse by pulling the reigns back in for the last few strides virtually asking the horse to stop.

Back