Honeywell CM927 faulty screen

silverdale

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
A friend asked me to look at the LCD screen on his Honeywell CM927 thermostat program/timer as it was missing characters and numbers.

I stripped it down and the common repair seems to be remove the screen and heat it over a toaster.
Instead I used my temp control heat gun and gave it a blast a few times till it worked again.

Just wondered, can you buy these LCD screens anywere ?

I repaired the screen on mine three times using a hair dryer. However, the intervals between the screen failing decreased over the last year or so and on the 4th attempt it was no better.
I could not find a source for just the LCD screen so ended up buying a replacement new T4R instead.

Using a heat source is a total bodge. Seems ok in the short term but total failure is inevitable.
There is a far superior repair on youTube but demands a far higher level of skill. I doubt that a replacement screen has ever been available but even less so now for a discontinued item.

He read heat would sort it so he used a hairdryer without actually taking it apart and he got it to work over 12 months ago. He said all the characters didn't come back but there was enough to still be able to use it. It only failed again the other day.

I used a rework station today with the screen out and I got everything back after 2 pops. I'm not sure how long that will last.
I can't see any and LCD screens for sale anywhere, they look very specific.

Yeah looks a bit of a pain in the backside doing that fix above

There's a lot that can go wrong with redoing the tabs on an lcd screen. As we all know, the actual repair would take far, far longer than the edited video footage shows.
To anyone who's time is important to them, that repair wouldn't be cost effective unless doing it for yourself. The responsibility you assume when you do this type of repair has to be reflected in the charge. Take a couple of hours of careful labour + parts and the client wouldn't be far short of what he would pay for a replacement.

Tbh I'm not into lengthy repairs like that, this was more about having a look for a m8. I knew the heat up repair would be a temp thing more than anything but I couldn't find a replacement screen that's why I asked.

You never know, sometimes you ask and the odd time someone pipes up that they got one from xyz.
I've given it back to him, he might get 10 minutes or 10 years who knows.
Thanks

I did mine using a hair dryer and it lasted about 15 months before some of the characters disappeared again, i did it again last week using the toaster method and still seems ok, if i get another year out of it i ill be happy :)

I remember doing something similar to a few Sagem d-boxs years ago as they were renowned for having vertical black lines on the lcd

I think its trial and error. I remember doing the xbox with a paint stripper heat gun R.R.O.D and got 18 month before it went again. I took my m8's timer apart and made sure i gave it a thorough heating up. My temperature method is, if you can put your hand under it for 1 or 2 seconds that's hot enough.
All's I can say is, the guy on eBay who's charging £17.95 to repair the screen must have a f""kin good toaster, probably a 4 slicer,

Back