Homes can be extended without planning permission

Munkey

Inactive User
Reaction score
What difference do the new rules make?

Until now, householders were allowed to expand their home by a total of up to 70 cubic metres – or 50 cubic metres for a terraced house – before having to apply for planning permission. This allowance had to be divided up between any extensions and loft conversions. Anyone wishing to expand further was forced to apply for permission from their local council. Now, as well being able to have a loft conversion of up to 50 cubic metres without planning permission, families are free to build a two-storey extension stretching back 10ft from the rear of their house, with no limit to its total volume.

Has anything changed regarding building regulations?

No. All loft conversions and rear extensions must still meet rigorous national standards.

What if I live in a conservation area?

Any household in a conservation area will require planning permission to build a two-storey extension. However, they will not need consent for a single-storey extension less than 10ft deep.

What grounds for complaint do I have if I object to a neighbour’s planned extension?

The Government says extensions falling within the new limits will be small enough to prevent intrusion on neighbours, and so there is nothing that can be done to stop them. Larger extensions will continue to require planning permission, and neighbours will maintain their right to object to these. However, as well as being free to increase the allowance for extensions in their area, councils can also impose stricter limits if they fear the new rules would have a generally negative effect for neighbours.

What do the new rules on driveways mean?

The Government says restricting driveways is necessary to combat the risk of flooding during heavy rain. It says 55,000 homes were damaged during floods last year because of surface water running off driveways. Surfaces deemed acceptably porous include gapped concrete paving, plus some types of asphalt and gravel.

What are the rules on building other things in my garden?

Decking or platforms are allowed provided they are no more than about 1ft off the ground and that together with other extensions and outbuildings they cover no more than 50 per cent of the garden. Sheds and garages may be a single storey and have a maximum height of 13ft with a dual-pitched roof or 10ft for any other roof.

Source The Telegraph

HaHaAhahahahahahah

The council refused my 1st floor rear extension due to 'over development'. I can now build it without permission at the end of the month. Happy Days.

Bwahahah Bwahahahahhahahhah

They are going to bring in that you need planning permission to create a driveway because it may hinder drainage. Surely that condradicts this thread. They will allow you to put concrete foundations down and build an extension on it but they wont let you put a driveway down which would not be as deep as concrete foundations...lmao. What a puppet show we have.

Good news anyway for those building extensions.

will this also so apply in scotland
as a guy that lives near me would fe---n object to any extension i wanted to build

if it is as its says above

mines will be going up next summer :banana:

Hi

GRRRrrrrrrr, just done my terraced house, there was a wooden leanto at rear which somebody told me I could knockdown and rebuild with brick without planning permission, another builder wouldnt build without planning permission , 2 architects contradicted themselves, council refused permission in the end kitchen stayed where it was and now this, why didnt they tell me this and I would have waited, only just finished the house as well. Well pissed off.

Wonder where you stand then if you start one but finish after the period. Would you have to get it signed off...

Wonder where you stand then if you start one but finish after the period. Would you have to get it signed off...

Although actual planning permission will not be needed, building control will still need to approve it.....you dont really think they are going to let you off paying them the fee for nodding their heads.

will this also so apply in scotland
as a guy that lives near me would fe---n object to any extension i wanted to build

if it is as its says above

mines will be going up next summer :banana:

yes m8 it applies to Scotland as well.
I was on to NLC planning yesterday about plans we put in 18 months ago, and apparently you only need PP if your in a conservation area or a listed building.

wish i'd known that 18 months ago!

Last edited:
Back