Homebrew.......anyone do it?

Iv been lookin at the kits you get for vodka are they any good? as I was reading elsewhere that you cam go blind !

Lol you sure you have not got an article about MASTURBATION mixed up with one about DISTILLATION! :proud:

Not brewed any for yonks..
This thread as inspired to put on some ribena wine for xmas ..
gonna do a 5 gallon batch woohoo nice one !!

Not brewed any for yonks..
This thread as inspired to put on some ribena wine for xmas ..
gonna do a 5 gallon batch woohoo nice one !!

i made some ribena last year , was pretty nice, my only qualm with it is it was like a syrup , which in turn was forever bubbling over, i think i mixed it in the end with another cranberry experiment gone wrong :)

well ive recovered after a monster sesh on the cider on saturday (yes i know, takes longer to recover) anyways, yes i`m deffo after me brick oven just time at the moment.

The high alcohol kits ive done turn out a bit smelly, i.e. eggy (sulphur) however the taste was very near to vodka and it got you leathered it also got better the long in the bottle it was left, but expect a massive hangover from these kits no matter how good you do them, as its just literally loads of sugar and water with yeast in.

i do have a bag of carbon to mix with the next one, but we`ll see ;) only trouble with this is, you turn your cloudy lemonade coloured brew into a black inky mass , as basically your pouring the what amounts to the bottom of a bonfire in there and shake the fook out of it over a period of a couple of days. It will take most of the smell and tastes as well as any impuritys out and settle out.

as with any home brew, patience, patience, patience.

check this out for the one i used, alcotecs turbo yeast.

Alcotec 48 - Dual Turbo Yeast ONE PACKET on eBay (end time 08-Aug-10 07:56:37 BST)

Last edited:
I would love to have a go at making cider this year. I have 5 apple trees plus a pear tree.

Had to throw away 6 full bin bags of apples last year.
Pear tree didn't produce that much probably about 20 pears in total lol

Can anyone recommend a good starter kit that’s geared towards making cider?

Thanks

Get some starsan then m8 it's a no rinse contact sanatiser, it's reusable , and you can use a litre in a fermenter swill it round then pour it back in a container. I keep a litre made up in a spray bottle and just spray stuff as i use it.

thanks for the tip. I am tempted to give it another shot.. altho someone has PM'd me about the king keg!

I would love to have a go at making cider this year. I have 5 apple trees plus a pear tree.

Had to throw away 6 full bin bags of apples last year.
Pear tree didn't produce that much probably about 20 pears in total lol

Can anyone recommend a good starter kit that’s geared towards making cider?

Thanks

well in fairness all you need is something to extract the juice from the apples, and something to ferment it in (couple of barrels depending on how much you get) as you will literally just get juice, pop in barrel with airlock and leave for a few months, nothing else needs doing, as far as i`m aware the natural yeasts in the fruit will ferment naturally.

check out The HomeBrew Forum • Index page for more info.

i havent done it, but ive heard lots of people recommend Magnums apple cider as manic said.

i did a pear cider kit last year, was really nice, just wish i had taken my time a bit longer with it, turned out sparkling as well, but you must be careful, had a few bottle bombs this year with the wine.

mexican cerveza this time..............

If i brewed a Coopers Aus lager in a fermenting barrel, could I transfer to a keg instead of bottling it?

dont quote me but normally you would ferment it out and let sediment settle , then rack (transfer it to another barrel) degas it (basically shake it to shiit to get rid of built up gas) then leave it in new container to settle again foe a week or two (any sediment held by gas will be released and drop to bottom)

at this point you bottle it, and place a small amount of sugar in each bottle, this will feed any yeast present which will result in secondary fermentation and a small amout of gas will be created, which will fizz your beer in the bottle.

however if using a keg you can just let it settle and clear as much as you like and when you stick it in the keg, you will force some gas into it , which will make it fizzy.

hope thats right, but thats how i understand it.

racking it is for wine I am sure of that?!?!

I think it would be possible.. its a keg after all. With having a valve at the top I can add more Co2 as and when needed.

...see this is where the "hobby" element comes into play. It isnt all about 38p per pint etc, it does take some work to get a decent brew and when you have 5 gallons of the stuff you really want to make sure its good!

I think i am going to order a coopers aus lager kit and give it a go.

hey, we should have a forum section for Homebrew!

racking it is for wine I am sure of that?!?!

I think it would be possible.. its a keg after all. With having a valve at the top I can add more Co2 as and when needed.

...see this is where the "hobby" element comes into play. It isnt all about 38p per pint etc, it does take some work to get a decent brew and when you have 5 gallons of the stuff you really want to make sure its good!

I think i am going to order a coopers aus lager kit and give it a go.

hey, we should have a forum section for Homebrew!

no , racking is just a term which means taking your fermented brew off of the sediment to a new clean container for it to clear further.

the coopers kits are good ;)

Last edited:
Oh yes true true!!!

I can get a kit.
Ferment it in my fermenting bin. Let it settle down after 5-7 days. Siphon off into keg. Add the brewers sugar and seal it.

The keg will release co2 if the pressure gets too high and leave it for 2 weeks.

Not sure of the exact method mate, read your label, but whatver is says about fermenting times etc etc just give it more time.

be as patient as possible.

i also think you would be chucking your sugars in on the first mix would you not for the fermentation ;)

i would mix all ingredients together including sugars (brewing or normal dependant in what you want / need.

let it start fermenting , giving it a good stir 2 or 3 times in the first week, then just leave it to stop fermenting, once it stops bubbling leave it a few more days, then rack it to a clean container taking it off the sediment.

when its in the new container degas it, even though it looks clear there will still be sediment / yeast in suspension.

you can just shake it in smaller containers then add to big container, or use a wisk.

then leave for as long as you can wait for it to clear more, you can use finings as well i think, but i`m just lazy as , as little work as possible means waiting as long as possible for gravity to do all the work for you.

then either bottle and sugar for secondary fermentaion, or just keg it.

ive never used a keg , but the basic premise is that with the keg will add gas to your brew and make it fizz.

hope this helps ;)

obviously make sure everything is sterilised......

Oh yes true true!!!

I can get a kit.
Ferment it in my fermenting bin. Let it settle down after 5-7 days. Siphon off into keg. Add the brewers sugar and seal it.

The keg will release co2 if the pressure gets too high and leave it for 2 weeks.

I wouldn't put a lager in the king keg if i were you m8. They tend to under carbonate lagers. I would use bottles.

I'm bubbling :)

Jesus Christ how much bloody hard work is it using your own apples ?

The apple trees are empty now lol.

It took 3 of us 4 hours collecting blending then straining the apple juice. Eventually ended up with 25 litres of pure juice mmmmmm.

Now my next problem after reading the web I was informed that ideally it should ferment at temps of at least 20c to give good results.

So I put the thing in the hallway cupboard, thinking this will save me from buying a heat mat.

Well all is going well bubbling away quite happily problem is the carbon dioxide given off stinks of rotten eggs ? I presume this is normal ?

The wife has informed me that I need to move it out of the house i.e garage or shed.

Can you confirm if I move it to the above would I be required to purchase a heat mat ?

P.S can't wait for it to be done. First time I could see bubbles had me staring at it for 15 mins lol.

Back