home plugs/ power lines

buzzer

Staff member
Reaction score
looking for some of these as i'm getting sick off the super hub and its crappy wifi-range.
i need a set where i can add more if needed.

looks like there's a wide price range on them, is there a great deal of performance diffrence between the cheapo's and the expensive ones?

i don't think i need anything too fancy tbh,

any recommendations?

Last edited by a moderator:
what about the passthrough ones.

whats the diffrence (apart from the obvious :)) ,
i would still want to use the socket, why does no-one use them?

Price is normally the sticking point with people tbh, but sometimes interference with wireless devices as well. But you can get interference from the ones that don't have the pass through option. Never used the pass through ones, but I've had no problems with the TP Link ones I use.

@buzzer Cracking find mate!! :) Bought from dabs outlet before with no problems :)

@buzzer Was meant to say, when I got them, I followed this guys instructions for pairing them and worked a treat:

"Great product, but BEWARE...

When pairing two adapters, only hold the button down for between 3 and 8 seconds, then let go (I counted to five). The power light on the front will then flash.

Don't do what I did, and hold the button until the lights flashed, then let go. This is too long (about 12 seconds) and the pairing will not work.

Lastly, if you are 'pairing' three (or more) adaptors, make sure they are in very close proximity, just during the pairing process. If you don't get to the third adaptor within a couple of seconds of the first two to pair it, you'll never get all three communicating."

Pairing any homeplug may have some kind of issues, not really sure, but followed these simple instructions and it was a doddle! No problems so far with them, working a treat. If you're pairing more than two, I'd get someone else to be on standby to pair the 3rd one.

If I remember right, the box said they have a 3 year warranty as well. And you got them at a great price! :)

Regards,

snapman

nice 1.. :)

bought one set the now, if i like em i will buy another

looks like its only one.. :(

ah well, live and learn..

nice 1.. :)

bought one set the now, if i like em i will buy another

I had a similar superhub problem, just set it to modem only and put my old wireless router back.
I've been watching this thread for a while to see the outcome, but I'm still puzzled with the homeplug solution.

If you don't have an "old" wireless router, you can buy some cheaper than a pair of home plugs.
Just about any of them has a better range than, at least the original superhub, and you only need the one.

Homeplugs need available sockets, in convenient positions, at each end, and wired connections to each of your devices,
to get your particular maximum speed. If your devices are not in the same room, you need additional plugs, or wires all over the place.
It seems a messy and expensive solution, so I assume I'm missing the point, not unusual but....?....:err:

@danforth i do have an old router which is setup as a wireless bridge for the spare pc.

thinking homeplugs would be better because:

1 theres always a socket near the device i want to use it on
2: not all devices that i may use in the future would have wifi capacity (media players/ sat box/ desktop computers)
3: real easy to set up
4: versatile, as in u can move your homeplug to any location and it should work.

if i had 3 of 4 of these, would be easy and quick to have a network connection anywhere in the house.

@danforth i do have an old router which is setup as a wireless bridge for the spare pc.

thinking homeplugs would be better because:

1 theres always a socket near the device i want to use it on
2: not all devices that i may use in the future would have wifi capacity (media players/ sat box/ desktop computers)
3: real easy to set up
4: versatile, as in u can move your homeplug to any location and it should work.

if i had 3 of 4 of these, would be easy and quick to have a network connection anywhere in the house.

Thanks for clearing up my confusion, different circumstances in my case, but your reasons now make sense to me.

looks like its only one.. :(

ah well, live and learn..

I didn't scroll down to look at the rest of the sale, as I thought you'd already checked it was a pair mate. It is only one :(

Bugger.

I didn't scroll down to look at the rest of the sale, as I thought you'd already checked it was a pair mate. It is only one :(

Bugger.

i was sure i'd checked lol.
never mind, just buy a pair along with it. :)

@buzzer Hope all goes well with the homeplugs mate :)

Could you not cancel that order and order from where I got them for £5 less @buzzer for a pair of them?

TP-Link PA411KIT AV500 500 Mbps Powerline Adapter - Twin Pack: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Have a read of the reviews as well as well as the company specs before ordering mate. I just use them for 'On Demand' TV, so hopefully they'll be good for what you're after.

Regards,

snapman

it will be sent out now m8.

not worth the hassel of canceling n that, was my fault anyways lol

Back